ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 250 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#18015 12/05/02 12:27 PM
S
STANDUP Offline OP
Is it leagle to tap the microwave onto one leg of a 4 wire 40 amp range home run?

The contractor stated 210-19 (c) ex 1 . that it was a cooking unit. The microwave is a 120v unit on a 15 amp rated receptacle.

Any info would be great thanks all
Scott Badger

M
mj Offline
what about ocp for the microwave unit ? a 15 unit on a 40 amp circuit? 210-19 (3) this practice is permitted... some electricians use that exception, some dont. take care...

D
Is this worked on a permit? Ask the inspector his take on this 'exception'. Most inspectors consider a microwave an appliance and do not allow this exception - microwaves are cord and plug connected and therefore this receptacle could eventually serve other appliances. This 'exception' is a Tap rule...does not apply to receptacles[microwaves are not hardwired]; further your microwave is rated less than 20A. I'd say this is bogus and refuse the installation.

S
STANDUP Offline OP
I found out that the microwave was taped into the range feed when I turned off the ranger to make the damn thing stop beeping.(It was the dishwasher that beeped all day lol) MY dad had a good time with that. It make for a fun thanksgiving.

Anways this is a new house. I don't think I will have a problem getting the contractor to fix this. He said he runs a 20A home run to the disposal. That would be a good place to pick up my power for the microwave.
I just wanted to get some feed back from others in the industry.

Thanks again
Scott Badger

B
Under NEC tap rules, could you use a fuseholder receptacle for the microwave oven, if it was furnished with an integral cord?

For example, consider something like a Buss "SRU" described at http://www.bussmann.com/library/bifs/1129.pdf

Provided there's no range on the circuit
Why not just replace the circuit breaker with a 20 amp back at the panel? Too easy.

S
I have seem some wall ovens that come with a recptacle in the back to plug the microwave into.

I would not consider the type of tap you are talking about. Run the 12/2 homerun. Many microwaves call for a decicated 20 amp ciruit. Manufacturers specs supersed the code book.

Link Copied to Clipboard