ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#179585 07/22/08 03:30 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
I think they have the same leccy over in Egypt.They however favour the 'flying splice' or 'neat tape joint' just below the cable entry to the heater

P
gee that's scary

I have a sense of adventure, I just keep it leashed with common sense.
Hey,
It's got plastic hoses on the water connections and a switch on the socket-outlet, what more do you want?
Gee you people are tough to please.
Besides, that flex there would make a rather handy towel hanger.
[Linked Image]

M
People are so critical here. Look- there's a nice drip loop in the cord which also makes a handy "grab bar" in case you slip on the slick floor.

P
pauluk Offline OP
You know, I was so preoccupied looking at the wiring, that I've only just noticed how that water heater is being held against the wall.

Better not hang too many towels on the cord, or use it as a hand-grab too often!

Paul:
OK, I see what you saw now. Now I would really run away faster!

John
I wonder, how good is that sealant job, behind that wooden plate that holds the socket-outlet to the wall?
Usually one should use 732 RTV sealant, I'm sensing that corners may have been cut here.

Cat Servant
Just a side note ....

In many ways, this arrangement is the norm in many "modern" parts of the world. Let me explain ......

First off, having the water heater literally hanging in the shower, as shown, is typical.

Having a switch is also typical .... that is what controls the water heater. That is, if left on, the water heater will ultimately start venting; there is no thermostat. You actually turn the thing on, wait a bit, then take your shower - turning it off as you exit.
However, the switch is more commonly mounted on the outside wall of the room, and often has a pilot light, letting you know its' on.
Having the switch right next to the heater is a new twist.

As is the receptacle; typically ordinary flex is used (not sealtight).

One detail not obvious in the picture is that the entire service is likely RCD (GFI) protected.

T
Typically European water heaters are watertight on the electrical part, enough to be mounted directly inside the shower or above the bath tub. In this case they are hard wired though with all other electrical stuff are outside the wet area. The heater itself is probably 220-240V 1500W. The socket and switch inside the shower are close to suicide though...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard