ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
djk Offline
Hong Kong seems to use a slightly modified BS regime. With BS1363 being the default standard. However, BS546 seemed to still crop up quite frequently, where as it's pretty much vanished in the UK.

The only worrying safety concern that I've come across with the use of NEMA style parallel blade plugs and Aus/NZ style slanted blades is what a Chinese friend of mine explained that she does.

If she can't find a NEMA style outlet, and only the slant-pinned type, she uses a pliers to twist the NEMA style blades into the 'correct' shape.

It just seems a lost opportunity not to have come up with a Class II version of the slant-blade plug too. It's a nice design as it's self-polarising.

I think BSI had the right approach when they went with BS1363 in the UK. The system was designed not to be compatible with pre-existing standards so it wiped them out very quickly and completely and has improved safety in a huge way. Ireland's adoption of BS1363 was for the same reason.

I find the piecemeal 'don't rock the boat' approach that has been taken with European connectors caused more problems than it solved. They've ended up with all sorts of potentially dangerous combinations.

At least the Brits had the good sense to recognise that their original system was completely nuts smile

Last edited by djk; 08/16/08 09:59 AM.
P
Originally Posted by djk
However, BS546 seemed to still crop up quite frequently, where as it's pretty much vanished in the UK.

BS546 15A connectors are still used widely for lighting rigging in theatres. The 5A connectors were also still in widespread use until fairly recently, although they've been dying out in the last few years as it's now recommended that 15A be used for all lights.

At least the Brits had the good sense to recognise that their original system was completely nuts smile

We're not crazy. We're eccentric! wink

D
djk Offline
BS546 was common here in studio and stage lighting rigs. It's no longer used though, Ceeform has replaced it completely.

A

The only worrying safety concern that I've come across with the use of NEMA style parallel blade plugs and Aus/NZ style slanted blades is what a Chinese friend of mine explained that she does.

If she can't find a NEMA style outlet, and only the slant-pinned type, she uses a pliers to twist the NEMA style blades into the 'correct' shape.

That's common practice in this part of the world. Certainly up to at least the late 1970's there were importers selling equipment (mainly audio and hi fi gear) with U.S/Japanese two pin plugs fitted. Some importers replaced the plugs and sometimes even fitted a three core flex. Others simply twisted the plug pins prior to sale or didn't even bother doing that just much, leaving the buyer to deal with it.
With the rest of the world discovering the fact that Australia actually existed and that it had its own style of plug (albiet really a U.S. design), foreign manufacturers did actually start making equipment compliant to local standards.
Most of my equipment with "modified" U.S. plugs has been brought in by travelling family members. Provided the pins can't be touched when they are far enough into the socket to make contact it is not something I panic about.

P
Originally Posted by aussie240
Certainly up to at least the late 1970's there were importers selling equipment (mainly audio and hi fi gear) with U.S/Japanese two pin plugs fitted

Some Japanese audio gear was sold like that in the U.K. as well. The Pioneer turntables come to mind as a good example. As many of the Japanese amplifiers of the time also had NEMA-type outlets on the back (non-grounding) for auxiliary equipment, it was quite handy, since the turntable could plug directly into the back of the amplifier. Of course, the receptacles on the back provided 240V power since they were just connected directly across the line, or via the on/off switch.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard