ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Samurai Offline OP
I'll give a little background first, I have a master electrician's license in Florida. Work in Florida has all but ground to a halt with exception of some very large companies; but there are lots of places elsewhere looking for licensed journeymen. I wonder why there isn't a national minimum recognition of a master's license in one state as at least a journeyman everywhere else. the tests are all based on national code a downgrade to journeyman elsewhere also removes the immediate threat of competition coming along from someplace else. I'd like to hear thoughts on this.

Last edited by pauluk; 07/26/08 05:29 AM. Reason: Tidied up UBB codes
Cat Servant
I'm not sure I understand your complaint, question, or desire.

True, the trade is regulated in widely varying ways in different places. It is also true that this regulation is often claimed to primarily exist for restricting competition.

Yet, such claims need support. It's just too easy an assertion to make. Ditto for similarly cynical claims as to access to apprenticeship programs.

Whatever credentials you have, they will be critical in placement of you by the various trade-related employment services.

Bear in mind that the market in understandably cautious; I'm sure you have seen all manner of poor work performed by supposedly qualified persons.

We have inter provincial trades in Canada

http://www.red-seal.ca/Site/trades/index_e.htm

Electrician being one of them

Samurai Offline OP
I can't help but agree with you over most of what you said; especially quality vs. certification. I have also run into circumstances wherein electrical products have completely different different nicknames depending where you go (which makes you look silly for claiming to have broad and deep experience and not knowing, for example, that in Arizona, they call a studguard a "dottie plate" rather than a "nail plate" in florida - both are nicknames.) (in fact I was recently rebuked by a leadman for saying that #1 [thhn]is suitable for 130A his reply "#1 is good for 200A" - he had been a lineman before turning 'electrician')

Samurai Offline OP
yeah Doug, my wife has her Canadian citizenship and was telling me that her ex. (another electrician) is certified all over Canada - period.

We don't have a State License in NY. Neighboring counties don't even reciprocate with each other where I am.

In all fairness though, Licensing requirements are different between my County and the next. Length of experience to qualify is one (I think), and another has to do with required CEUs.

Bill

Bill
R
This is a states rights issue and the feds have no business looking at a national electrical license.

Don(resqcapt19)
S
Still, would be nice if more states would reciprocate licenses, even if they caveot with things like requiring the work be supervised by an in-state master electrician, etc.

I'll go one below Bill, PA only has local city/municipality licensing. If I become a journeyman in Falls, I'd need to go to Bristol Township and get a license to work across the street.

That's all in the future for me though, so back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
G
Which jurisdiction are we talking about. As far as I know there isn't a "master electrician" license issued by the state, only the various contractor licenses.
Wiremen are licensed in some municipalities tho.
Considering how bad Florida is about recognizing other state's licenses I doubt there will be much reciprocity out there.

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard