ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Samurai Offline OP
as "Master" I was referring to the EC and ER class contractor licenses; I'm basing this in tradition: The highest "grade" above journeyman is master; a journeyman may not contract electrical work in his own right (by tradition only a master can) ergo "EC or ER" = master. (I'm told by EC holders that it is pretty much the same test with more hoops to jump through &c.)

G
According to Mike Holt Florida has reciprocity with Georgia, Alabama and North Carolina

http://www.mikeholt.com/statelicense.php

Greg Fretwell
J
Certain aspects of this would be nice, like not having to sit for a test again or the possibility of more uniform standards.

However, I remember here when MD and DE were trying to get reciprosity worked out. One state required a pasing grade of 70, the other 75. One IIRC required CEU's, the other did not.

Here my state license does not allow me to do any work. It is just a mechanism so I do not have to test for each local jurisdictions license. Just show the state license and proof of insurance and pay your money and become licensed locally.

I would be more happy with a uniform adoption of the Code within the state. One here is on the 93, another adopts the 08 next month. Sure makes it difficult to remember what is OK under what Code cycle.

S
I Have always worked in NC. We reciprocate with half a dozen other states in the southeast. Here you get your ec liscense and can pull permits anywhere in the state. I thought it was that way everywhere. I didn't realize that there was this mass of inconsistancy throughout the country. It's hard enough going county to county with the same code.

We've got Towns within the same County using different codes. Some areas use one Code for Residential and a different code for Commercial.

Bill

G
Bill, Florida used to be the same way. That is how I got my state inspector job. The state did not want to deal with a hundred different building codes when they designed and built something so they had their own state building department. Finally they passed a state building code that everyone needs to use, unaltered.
Now if we could just get the AHJs to interpret it the same way. The trades say they still have to do things
the "Cape Coral way" the "Lee County way" and the "Collier County way" etc. It is still a lot better than having 1000 AHJs writing amendments.

Greg Fretwell
Greg,

We have a State Code too. Jurisdictions can enforce a more restrictive code with approval from the State. In at least one case however, it seems that approval was not granted, but that's a can of worms no one seems to want open.

Bill

Bill
H
National licencing is not a new concept or talking point. Back in 1990 there was a group NBEE (National Board of Electrical Examiners). They tried to start national lisencing and were doing some testing.I took a test when I Lived in Lake Jackson TX. I think it cost about $ 150.00 . How I got involved with them was I read a article in EC&M I called their number (NBEE) and they sent the test to the college. I did pass the test and got my certificate. I have only met one other electrician that had the NBEE certification.I would get news letters from them and as best I recall only 5 to 7 states bought into the concept then they must have gone out of business because I have not heard anything from them in years.
In my opinion in order for national lisencing to work a organization like NFPA or some national building code organization needs to be behind it. There is local revenue issues involved here a the cities and states would loose revenue from not being able to issue lisenes. One way to smooth over that issue is to have a national certification program and if you do what ever it takes to keep up your cerification you could present your national certification papers to the lisencing authority and buy your local lisense.
That those who want national lisencing would have it and those who dont want it would have local lisencing.
Just a thought.
Hypress

Cat Servant
The ICC seems to be trying to establish a 'national certification' through the back door.

Places -like Reno- that have adopted ICC building codes also are letting the ICC administer the test, issue the card. It is hoped that other ICC-adoptive places would, in turn, recognize the ICC card.

Samurai Offline OP
Originally Posted by SteveFehr
Still, would be nice if more states would reciprocate licenses, even if they caveot with things like requiring the work be supervised by an in-state master electrician, etc.

That's kind of the idea; with deference to resqcapts reiteration of the 10th amdt. about state's rights. the code is "National" (depending on states choosing to adopt, etc. etc.) I had a teacher tell me (the class) once that the national code is the MINIMUM, you can meet code and still not have a real quality job. And there are state, county, and local ordinances too. But if you PROVE competency in national code (the minimum), by some accredited testing authority, shouldn't all of the states (who claim to be NEC adoptive and compliant) voluntarily recognize: "you passed the highest test your state issues; we can grant you automatic recognition as the next step below without further testing, pay the issuance fee and away you go."

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard