ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#179440 07/14/08 12:19 AM
I know there's a lot of railroad fans here at ECN, and maybe someone can shed some light on whether these are still in use, the lines do drop to the control boxes at signaling sites so Im assuming they're still in use

PS this is along the 99 Fwy in Kern & Tulare Co.s in California

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

E
I don't think that they are used much anymore, if at all. Most rail routes now have fiber buried along them by telephone service providers and the railroads get to use their fiber as part of the deal. Sprint was actually formed as a joint venture between US Telecom and Southern Pacific Railroad.

I've seen a lot of the same condition of old signal wiring in Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the copper thieves start going after that next.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
M
Same thing up here in Canada.

The CN rail mainline has sagging sections (missing poles) and completely missing spans coming into my city.

On the other hand CP rail's mainline has gone underground west of the city and to the east they are using a telephone system style overhead cable attached to the old telegraph poles. All the old open wire system has been removed from those poles.

Both railways also have fibre along side their ROW as they were partners in a alternative long distance provider before selling out.

I wonder why the railways are not out reclaiming the copper or selling the rights to a salvage company at the current price?

And let's not forget the posting from 2003 with the unusual things found on railway poles.
https://www.electrical-contractor.n...bb/showflat/Number/114362/page/0/fpart/1

H
Here in NJ, I don't believe that they are used either anymore. I do know that there are signals of different frquencies sent out over the track itself from the station to the train engine. There could be many different signals all running at the same time. The signals can tell where the train is, if the train passed a red signal, and it could even stop a train dead in its tracks if the engineer goes through a red signal. My nephew is an electrican on the RR now here in NJ.

Link Copied to Clipboard