ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#179429 07/13/08 02:02 AM
Has anyone ever seen a monstrosity like this??? I can't imagine what the contacts must be like. confused

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

found on ebay here

from the listing...

"Please note that this power bar doesnot come with electric wire, and does not convert the voltage; it only adapts the plug. If you want to convert the voltage from 110/120 to 220/240V or from 220/240V to 110/220V; you need to get a voltage converter or transformer. Please check my eBay Store for s full line of voltage converters and transformers."

A
Originally Posted by Lostazhell
I can't imagine what the contacts must be like.

Or how much they'd melt if you plugged in a cooker as suggested!

Also, it doesn't have a ground connection for the majority of european plugs. Our 3 square pins here in the UK would be ok, but the french have a ground pin sticking out of the outlet, and the schuko connector which is common across the rest of europe has two ground contacts on the sides of the plug

D
djk Offline
They look like they might be used to cope with the umpteen different standards used in India.

The 3 common BS546 plugs [Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

The Europlug [Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

BS1363 [Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

and NEMA

[Linked Image from lakewoodconferences.com]

and schuko, without connecting the earth/ground!

[Linked Image from cubus-adsl.dk]

And fingers, pens, bare wires.. etc

Last edited by djk; 07/14/08 12:55 PM.
D
djk Offline
Here's the matching wall plate!

[Linked Image from aavaas.com]

!?!?!

Talk about a universal hazard...

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
P
If those sockets accept NEMA 5-15 plugs as well, which it looks as though they might do, then there's another problem: Polarity.

With ground at the top, NEMA has the "hot" conductor at the lower left. For British BS1363/BS546 it is lower right.

D
djk Offline
That could be 'interesting' with a US appliance that doesn't like ambiguous polarity, such as a US Edison Screw light bulb holder.

C
I also wonder what the inside looks like. Most devices today come with switching power supplies that will take 90-240 VAC 50/60 HZ so that's whats it's primary purpose is (At least I would think it would be for)

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
A
I wouldn't use anything high power from it. From what I've seen of the insides of this kind of socket, the actual contact area from socket to plug is usually much less than when the proper socket is used. It has to be as it's a compromise. You see this multipurpose 3 pin socket on Chinese inverters sold on eBay. It allows them to sell one model for all the 220-240V areas of the world.
There is also a relatively common two pin adaptor in this part of the world that has a socket accepting U.S flat pin plugs, and European and British round pin plugs. Despite having only two pins, 3 pin round pin and U.S plugs will fit but with the earth pin floating in mid air for all to see. Inside, the contacts are sort of a V shaped angle arrangement which takes care of different pin diameters and spacing. Problem is, it's only the edges of the pins which are held. Just the weight of the attached cable is often enough to make the plug fall out, to say nothing of plugpack transformers. One of these adaptors I have is actually a U.S flat pin to European round pin, but with the flat pins twisted to fit the Australasian socket. It gets used with fluorescent lead light I bought cheap at the markets (obviously without local approval).

W
These strips and wallplates originate from China. I've seen the wallplates in Chinese hotels. Also saw one at Kuala Lumpur International airport, Malaysia. The 4 way strips are on sale everywhere in Macau, and they can be found in markets in Malaysia. I've even seen them in £1 shops in the UK.
They can't cope with BS546 15A plugs, but almost anything else will fit including Australian, Italian, and Swiss plugs. Although these is a hole for the earth on Italian and Swiss plugs these are no contacts behind the hole.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard