ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Originally Posted by winston_1
Although these is a hole for the earth on Italian and Swiss plugs these are no contacts behind the hole.

That's one thing I hate to see on these adapters. I've seen similar ones which will accept a BS1363 plug, but the earth hole is just that -- A hole with no contacts.

Welcome to forum, by the way! smile

D
djk Offline
Well they're complaint with no standards whatsoever, so it's unsurprising.

The only way that adaptors could be regulated is internationally e.g. the EU could regulate adaptors for use between CEE 7/7 (Schuko/French) and UK, Ireland, Malta, Cyprus, Italy and Denmark's "weird" systems.

CENELEC could regulate in Europe or IEC internationally.

C
Not every universal pattern socket is sh** BUT most are.
Some better produt (italy/swiss earth hole is REAL) :
"Merlin Gerin" A505's sold ~Y20 in PRC. Link
Belkin's trailing socket

C
Merlin Gerin" A505
[Linked Image from img03.taobaocdn.com]
Belkin
[Linked Image from catalog.belkin.com]

D
djk Offline
The big worry with ALL of those is that they'll happily accept a CEE 7/7 or Schuko plug without completing the ground connection.

The only multi-standard sockets that I've seen that looked fairly safe and acceptable were CEE 7/7 and Italian combos.

[Linked Image from audiokit.it]

That type of outlet accepts either :

[Linked Image from musiclab.it]
Italian plug

or [Linked Image from xinrek.com]

It's found in Italy, but also in Croatia, Monenegro and possibly other parts of Former Yugoslavia which seems to have a heavy Italian influence these days.

I actually quite like the Italian plug, it's very neat and does not have the grounding problems that Schuko / CEE 7/7 presents i.e. you can't mate a grounded italian plug with an ungrounded socket outlet without taking a hacksaw to the ground pin!

The IEC proposal for a world-wide 230V 50Hz outlet is very similar to the existing Swiss outlet (the IEC is HQ'd in Switzerland...)
Only difference being a slightly modified pin layout and rated for 16amps and always recessed.

IEC 60906-1

I think any country with multiple old standards should re-standardise to this. It should be an IEC requirement. It would clean up the mess in India for example quite nicely.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

So far, only Brazil has officially adopted the standard.

[Linked Image from tecnocracia.com.br]

Last edited by djk; 07/24/08 11:05 AM.
P
Do you remember the new configuration which was proposed in the 1970s as a replacement for all the existing European connectors?

It consisted of two rectangular sockets mounted vertically within the space of a current single-gang plate, with three flat pins, the central earth being offset a little. The sockets were recessed back from the face, similar to the Swiss type. Plug cords exited either straight or right-angled downward. As near as I can remember from the prototype photos, it was something like this (although the earth pin may have been offset to the right instead of the left):

[Linked Image]

D
djk Offline
They look almost like the now obsolete Spanish system, with a blade earth pin rather than a round one.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

I assume the logic behind the IEC 60906-1 proposal is that it allows the very common Europlug [Linked Image from sedu-hair-styles.us] to be retained. Yet, because it's a recessed socket it's impossible to plug any other type of plug into the socket outlet which completely eliminates the risk of older Schuko plugs being connected without the earth.

The CEE standards were the only steps made towards a harmonised European plug and socket system and for the most part, other than in a small minority of countries i.e the UK, Republic of Ireland, Malta and Cyprus they're either fully compliant with CEE 7/7, or at the very least able to use CEE 7/16 the non-grounded Europlug.

Also, with Denmark looking like it's changing to the French version of CEE 7/7 and Italy phasing in a safe and effective dual standard outlet and CEE 7/7 plugs it's really fast becoming a non-issue other than in the UK and Ireland.

Also, I've heard that Malta and Cyprus are phasing out BS1363 in favour of CEE 7/7 as they're having all sorts of chaos importing items with moulded plugs already fitted. It's an EU legal requirement that an appropriate plug be fitted to any appliance sold hence in Ireland and the UK it's legally required that anything sold has a BS1363 plug. But, if you're a tiny country in the mediterranean sorrounded by schuko!

Last edited by djk; 07/26/08 09:05 AM.
P
The transposition of the "plug must be fitted" rule into U.K. legislation allows for the use of one of those adapters which screw over a Europlug to convert to BS1363:

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard