ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#179425 07/12/08 06:25 PM
C
I need to purchace a hammer drill and attachment for driving ground rods
Any suggestions? Around 500.00
Thanks
Chris

Cat Servant
First of all, you do not want a 'hammer drill." You want either a 'roto hammer' or 'demolition hammer.'

The Roto hammer will need to be large enough to take either SDS-Max or Spline bits. (Spline drive is pretty much out of favor). If it's a demolition hammer, it will have take hex shanks, either 3/4 or 1 1/8".

For the money you want to spend, and the relative rare use the tool will see, I suggest you consider the Harbor Freight offerings. Tool snobbery aside, I have found this "Cheap Chinese junk" to perform quite adequately in these particular tools.

If your area is particularly rocky, or you also need to take apart post light bases, I suggest you 'up the ante' to about $900, and get Makita's 35# (half size) jackhammer.

While any of these tools will drive the rod without using a bit, I always use a bit. I see no reason to risk the tool by not having a bit in place. Ground rod driving bits cost about $60.

W
I have a Hilti TE-75 that I bought used off of e-bay for $475 plus shipping. Bought the bit to drive ground rods with and never regretted it. Wont drive one thru rock, but not much rock around here anyway.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
Z
I'll throw in another vote for Hilti Chris. I've never had a days grief from any of my Hilti power tools.

I would never ignore advise from reno though, so consider cost vs. intended use and good luck on your decision.

Link Copied to Clipboard