ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
1. Assume a house has a ufer and the water and gas are done in plastic or the flexible gas pipe. Neither are metal, do we still have to bond them?

2. Protecting the main grounding electrode conductor with conduit, etc. pertains to what sizes of conductor?

Thanks,
Byron

G
If the interior piping is plastic how would you bond it?

Greg Fretwell
B
the stubs under sinks are copper. But I really don't see any point in doing so...just asking.

Thanks

G
It is not really a code issue but I would still bond a steel sink to the EGC of the counter receptacles via the copper piping. I couldn't cite a code section tho. I have a stainless counter top and sink in my kitchen and it is bonded to the cooktop EGC (no neutral load) and receptacle EGCs.

If you have a disposal it is probably bonding a steel sink.

... but I am a bonding freak. The steel in my driveway is bonded.

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by bwise121
1. Assume a house has a ufer and the water and gas are done in plastic or the flexible gas pipe. Neither are metal, do we still have to bond them?

Nope, how?

2. Protecting the main grounding electrode conductor with conduit, etc. pertains to what sizes of conductor?

All of them. 250.64

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
J
I believe that there are bonding requirements for the CSST? flexible gas lines. These may come from the piping manufacturer, not the NEC.

After looking found this.
http://www.toolbase.org/pdf/techinv/csst_lightningconcerns.pdf

Last edited by Jim M; 07/11/08 09:43 AM. Reason: added pdf link
G
I think Sparky's answer is oversimplified. It's never wrong to protect them with conduit as long as a steel conduit is choked on both ends, but 250.64 (B) certainly says that there are situations where a grounding electrode conductor size 6 or larger may not require conduit as a means to physically protect it. Guys?

S
When not subject to physical damage. A common issue I see in unprotected grounds is exposure to weed whacking and brushing around the ground wire.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa

Link Copied to Clipboard