ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Hello All, I'm planning on installing a new 200 Amp service to my house in the near future, unfutunately I need to add a new concrete walk on the service side of the house before the service, If I drive down 2 rods 6-7 ft apart, #4 between them and to the panel ,can I cover them with the walk?(no visual inspection possible). leaving them above would become a tripping hazard. Any Ideas?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
250.68 Grounding Electrode Conductor and Bonding Jumper Connection to Grounding Electrodes.
(A) Accessibility. The connection of a grounding electrode conductor or bonding jumper to a grounding electrode shall be accessible.
Exception: An encased or buried connection to a concrete-encased, driven, or buried grounding electrode shall not be required to be accessible.

Greg Fretwell
B
So an inspector would have no proof that the job was done properly?

G
That is always going to be the case with a buried or concrete encased electrode if it was existing when you do the upgrade.
Call the AHJ and see if they will be happy with pictures or pull your permit now and have the GEC inspected on a partial rough. How long will it be before you do the upgrade?

Greg Fretwell
L
Originally Posted by barbwire
So an inspector would have no proof that the job was done properly?

This would fall under the "under ground" inspection.
Meaning it must be inspected before backfilling it.
This is a standard here, perhaps not every where.

Cat Servant
A question here ....

Would not a Ufer in the walk be a superior grounding electrode to a driven rod - and easier to instal as well?

A
The sidewalk would need to have a "footer" for a Ufer to be effective. With only a few inches of concrete above it would tend to be in a dry area.
Pull the permit early have the grounding rods and interconnect inspected and approved, then cover with the sidewalk. Make sure to have it noted on the permit or get a copy of the inspection report in case the inspector can't remember or you get a different inspector.
Just a point to remember: If you can make them fit, the ground rods can be installed INSIDE the building. This also elliminates the copper theives from cutting your wire.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
B
Thanks for the input, sounds like I need to get this permit pulled earlier than expected, to be on the safe side. Thanks ALL.

G
The only downside is since they are out there they might want a permit for the sidewalk. Things are pretty slow down at the building department so they are drumming up business where they can.

Greg Fretwell
W
I'm not sure about the sequence of events in your area. If I pull a permit to change a service. I must have in hand the SER # from the utility, to put on the permit. This is the utilities authorization # to break the seal on the meter. The catch 22 is you have to complete the upgrade within 90 days of pulling the number from utility. upon inspection by local inspector they will reseal meter, and put their crimp on connectors. In your case I'd suggest you pull a permit, and have it inspected for what it is a grounding electrode, leave the service change permit for when you actually do that. make sure you explain to the inspector your intentions. That would be the best course of action in my neck of the woods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard