ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 264 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#179146 06/27/08 09:41 PM
C
codewar Offline OP
Would Like Your Comments On an opportunity.
I own and run my own Business, recently I was approach by a general contractor that does a lot of business with prevailing wage jobs,He does a lot of Business from what I gather by asking other contractors. He ask me if I would be interested on becoming part of his company. He has offered me a couple of options, be the guy to run his electrical division or be a job forman with all the bennies and top wages. I need your opinions if you or anybody you know has this kind of relationship. Besides my vacation,bennies,top wages what else should I negotiate for?
I would appreciate any opinions and suggestions.
Thank You

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
Cat Servant
The first stop should be your local licensing board .... after all, who is going to hold the electrical license?

L
What is your experience?
What are your qualifications?
Who is this "guy" ?
What is it worth to you?
How long will the "relationship" last?
What is your "stake" (IE; Responsibility when things go arye (badly))?
At first glance: I'm no businessman !!! But I "aint stupid" either.

Cover your a** before you make a decision.
Consult an attorney. (ya they cost, But I have found.....
Worth every penny !!!! (but I over charge, go figure...)

Cat Servant
To put things in perspective ...

I am also a small operation. There are a few -very few- general contractors that I work WITH ... not work FOR.

My value to them is that things work when I'm done. Their value to me is regular work and reliable payment.

However, I am careful to not depend on them for too much. You really don't want all your eggs in one basket. I've had to part ways with one GC who was otherwise excellent, simply because he felt that I was but another of his employees, and sought to micro-manage my business.

W
What ever you do consult a lawyer before signing any thing. Had a GC around here who would approach subs with a very similar offer, then he would ask them to sign a "no compete" clause, if things do not work out your business can not be re started in the same area. Your guy may or may not be like this, but I second the advice: cover your A**

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
Z
Codewar, we all are willing to help you, we just need more info before any of us can.

What's in it for this "guy"? What is the advantage to hiring you as opposed to bringing you in as a sub?

What is this guys reputation? Does he pay his guys on time, and no matter what?

How many other people have taken this "offer"? Anybody you know? How long have these other guys been with him?

The first thing I would do is google his name and see what comes up, then I would investigate a lot further. Maybe show up at one of his jobs and strike up a conversation with a couple of the other employees when he's not around. Do they get their checks on time? Have they gotten what they were promised in a timely manner? Etc, etc, etc.

If there is that much money in it, there's no shame in taking the time to investigate and find out what is really going on.

Good Luck!

Link Copied to Clipboard