ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ComputerWizKid), 331 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Z
I should clarify - I tape as much of the conductor as I can GET to. Obviously, I'm not going to crawl inside a 2" concuit with a roll of tape smile

G
After a particularly bad experience on a 100a branch circuit I suggest you wrap near the end but also put a courtesy wrap up close to the conduit exit. That way if the wire gets trimmed and you lose the ID you still have a reference.
I know, you always reidentify before you cut but stuff happens. In our case we ended up with a hot shell on a Russell Stoll connector that really didn't like touching floor stanchions. "Somebody taking pictures?"

Greg Fretwell
Broom Pusher and

I should clarify - I tape as much of the conductor as I can GET to. Obviously, I'm not going to crawl inside a 2" conduit with a roll of tape

Randy,

Back in 1986, I had an Inspection on a Tilt-Up in Fullerton (used to be Advance Transformer / NORELCO).

Inspector was looking at a Transformer, where the Primary + Secondary Feeders had tagging running the entire visible length - from where they emerged from the Conduit, to the Lugs / Terminals.
All Conductor sizes were larger than #6 (75 KVA Transformer), EGC on Primary side was all Green.

Inspector asked if the Color Tagging (Colored Tape) on all Conductors went the _ENTIRE_ length of run, or at least 10 feet in to the Conduits.

My reply was similar to what I quoted above from your reply:
"I do not think anyone is going to crawl in to the Feeder Ducts, and I cannot fit in there, so only the ends are identified".

Got a correction for this, which I attempted to resolve via NEC Article reference.

Long story short, had to call the Senior Electrical Inspector for this (and a couple other items).
Chief Inspector overturned the issues, and explained why the Deputy was so animate.

Your statement brought that memory back.

Scott

Last edited by Scott35; 07/04/08 07:06 PM. Reason: Spelling

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
G

Inspector asked if the Color Tagging (Colored Tape) on all Conductors went the _ENTIRE_ length of run, or at least 10 feet in to the Conduits.

As Chevy Chase used to say "Yes ... as far as you know"

Greg Fretwell
I once went to a supply house (I think in San Diego) picking up materials for a 100A to 200A service upgrade. I asked for 40' of 3/0 THHN and I went to the back with the counter guy to grab the 2" rigid I also ordered when I glanced at some large purple wire in what looked like a cut pile. I asked about it, and he said that stack had been there for years, and he had no idea who ordered it in the first place. The wire turned out to be 4/0 THHN (General Cornish brand) 50' or so..and he gave it to me ½ price..

The H.O. thought it was beautiful laugh

Other than that, black w/ a couple wraps of phase tape.. I have come across red #2 before, and someone taped it for their neutral...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard