ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 273 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#178578 06/05/08 06:35 PM
Cat Servant
I've been busy getting a restaurant ready for a new owner. As far as I was concerned, my part of the job was limited to installing some steam tables ... no other changes were to be done.

Yea. Right.

No sooner had the inspector left, than the owner did some 'midnight electric' himself. Here's what I found on opening day:

At first glance, a nice sushi bar. The only problem is that there were no receptacles for either the sushi cooler, or that Pepsi cooler.

[Linked Image]

A closer look in the corner makes one suspicious ....

[Linked Image]

Our first code problem is the use of an extension cord as a replacement for permanent wiring. Looking behind the sushi cooler, and we're on to problem #2, the issue of disconnection:

[Linked Image]

Let's look closer at the ceiling penetrations; there's an issue about the cords being subjected to damage:

[Linked Image]

The cords enter the attic, where you see this lovely run to a receptacle placed for the servicing of the HVAC gear:

[Linked Image]

You can see the orange cords so artfully draped over the very pipes, etc., that you're going to need to walk / crawl upon. No attachment, no zip ties, no effort to run them in a less exposed manner.

Last edited by renosteinke; 06/05/08 06:36 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

"Cheapness pervades the place."

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Seems like there is always 'things' that show up 'after' the inspection. Storefront (interior) neon boarders and signs; the 'center tables' that were not in the food prep area; the scale, cash register, meat slicer. Liquor stores are good for a whole bunch of interior window beer signs, and sparky only installed a duplex! Some food places 'add' things five minutes after I do the final inspection; others may wait a day..assuming I won't be back!

Should have been an extension cord and cube tap salesman.

John
W
At least it is sprinklered!

T
My company (electrical planning) recently had a school where the maint. electreician started ripping down new stuff even before the project was officially finished... of course the electrician who did the original work screamed bloody murder and said they voided his entire liability for the original work by messing around with it.

Is that the factory cord on the sushi cooler?

Sure is a l-o-n-g one if it is crazy

Cat Servant
Scott, I wondered about that ... it sure looks like it, with a molded on plug.

FWIW, the previous Sushi cooler I found this guy using has a two-wire cord, with a ground wire added on later, and run along the outside of the zip cord .... secured by tape every foot or so. I think I had you post it a few years back.

Edit: I found the original pics, and have edited them ... to showcase the fine workmanship frown Different jobsite, same customer:

[Linked Image]

And I do NOT remember how the ground wire was terminated:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by renosteinke; 06/10/08 10:13 PM.
D
djk Offline
Japan uses a version of the NEMA 15amp outlet, but it's not quite the same.

The two pins are of equal size, non polarised and there are slightly different spec.

Most Japanese outlets are not grounded, so appliances like Washing Machines and cooking equipment has a seperate ground lead that is connected to a bonding post on the end of the outlet.

They also use 100V 50Hz/60Hz.. not 110-120V 60Hz as in north america.

D
djk Offline
Japanese outlet:

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Cat Servant
Thanks, Dave ... that explains a lot!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard