ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 263 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17877 12/04/02 12:59 AM
C
<rant>

I know that trades people swear, and some do quite frequently. I myself have been guilty of this on many occasions. For the most part, hearing a barrage of swears daily doesn't bother me, because you get immune to it after a while.

However, the one thing that does bother me is the taking of the name of the Lord in vain. The most common utterances being "JC" and "GD" among many others.

Yes, I know, there are many people who aren't religious and don't believe in God at all, and saying "JC" is meaningless to them.

It's not meaningless to me.

IMHO, the trades get a bad rap because of the persistent "Strong back, weak mind, foul mouth" sterotype. Anything that can be done to eliminate this bad image is a good thing.

Trying my best to keep it clean,
Peter

Peter
#17878 12/04/02 07:28 AM
T
I'm with you man.

The railroad business attracts people with a
"longshoresman" type mentality, where they can go for over two minutes without repeating themselves.

The english lanquage has been in a general decline since swearing was declared "free Speech"
TW

#17879 12/04/02 07:40 AM
E
I am not immune to swearing but it is very infrequent. From what I see any bad rap the trades get regarding this issue is well deserved. I am amazed when I am in the supply house at the inability of the guys that are in there to get a sentence out without dropping the f bomb. It is embarrassing to be in someones house working with different trades and they can't speak plain clean english. I can only imagine what the homeowners are thinking.

#17880 12/04/02 09:22 AM
S
A big hearty Amen to that [Linked Image]

#17881 12/04/02 09:32 AM
W
On some of the bigger projects that have 80-100 men working. I tried testing some people there to see if they listen to yah. First I tryed proper english, seemed like their minds would wonder, preoccupied, get bored fast and short span of attention. So the next time I was talking to them, I put in all the 4 letter adjectives, funny how all eyes were on me waiting for their chance to reply with all the 4 letter adjectives.

#17882 12/04/02 09:51 AM
I've noticed a decline in this area for several years. It's all around us everyday, and I sometimes fall into the foul-mouth mode. Look at network TV. I don't like my kids to watch it for the language. The biggest decline I've seen though, is in women. No offense, but ladies used to keep their language clean. Not anymore. The worst language that I've ever (including construction talk) heard came from a female "buyer" from a large department store here in Houston. It was so bad, that I couldn't stand to be around her. When she came around, I would leave. You know it's bad when an ex-Navy, construction-hand can't handle your language.

"Lava" in hand,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
#17883 12/04/02 11:07 AM
S
Depending on my mood I can be a heavy swearer....even putting a sailor or longeshoreman to shame. [Linked Image]

However I will never swear if I'm in front of a live radio mic. I will talk on and on and on and such words will not even cross my mind. Go figure! [Linked Image]

It's really hard when I'm around young kids (like my 5 year old cousin and nephew) and I have to bite my tounge like you wouldn't believe it.

In those situations I'm usually better off just keeping to myself and keeping my trap shut..... [Linked Image]

#17884 12/04/02 05:43 PM
B
Yeah, that seething, smooth rolling, expletive-laced language can really entrench itself in our lives and as you noted, women can be some of the worst. My three sisters and I (four foul-mouthed femmes who were really not the worst that could be found, especially because I used to have to explain some of the phrases that one of them used to her after she would get some odd looks...lol) decided it was high time to end the filth that we spoke and it cost us a nickel a word, though it was money well-spent because everyone started to watch their mouth. I, too, had the Navy influence and most of the guys would at least curb their language if the women around them didn't seem to be the seedy type but the women wouldn't.

In one of my side jobs as a restaurant shift manager a couple of years ago a customer, a man, approached me because this teenaged girl at the cash register was blasting one of the guys in the kitchen (who she had a crush on but who wanted nothing to do with her) and the customer was embarrassed to be witness to the blast and appalled at the girl's choice of words. I disdained the girl and her work was worthless but I had no power to reprimand much less fire her but the customer's opinion carried some heavy weight so I walked with him back to the counter and called her down on it right then by saying that one more word out of her that was even slightly derogatory, inflammatory, or could be perceived as being foul by anyone in the store and she was done and she could straighten up with some self-respect and respect for others or march out the door. You could've heard a collect 'hurrah' had you been listening to people's thoughts, I'm certain. I mention this to you, Doc, because a well-placed comment like "Man, I wish she would clean up her language and talk like she can complete a sentence without cursing" that lands on ears that aren't intimidated by her (her boss, for example) could work wonders for you, her and the other people she's offending. A comment made in the form & fashion I mention above also only directly attacks her verbal output, not her as a person and would be better received than "She talks trash" which implies something more.

Sven, it's sometimes really difficult to not blurt something out when kids are around but it'll pay you back in the worst way if you don't...visions of my own 5 yr old niece waking up as I mutter a descriptive comment to another driver (who, obviously, cannot hear me) and then a week or so later repeating it for Grandma and Grandpa and the crowd on the sidewalk when someone takes 'their' parking place at the yard sale they're about to approach. Bugg was in some hot water for that one...my bad. Just picture those kids as little microphones and know that they'll broadcast anything and everything they get from you because I'm sure you're their cool uncle and they'll copy you.

When I hear little kids swear it's like watching them spit on each other or something... not good at all and they're becoming more like the adults who cuss every 3rd or 4th word - they never even hear it anymore.

#17885 12/04/02 05:58 PM
S
If we are a profession,then all must follow suit, walk the walk talk the talk.
Save the expletive deletives for the right moments if you must......

Our image sells because face value, however superficial, is what the majority of opinion will be based on.

#17886 12/04/02 09:39 PM
I grew up in a fundamentalist home, where we said "wet" instead of "pee", and never, ever, ever said the Lord's name in vain.

I honestly believed I would be struck dead immediately!

Then I went to college...

Among the things I learned, were how to "...curse for five minutes straight without repeating myself..." (quote from Dick Starks of the Kansas City Dawn Patrol )!

I tend to use expletives to emphasize a point. But yeah, you really gotta watch the kids!

Every now and then I'll let one slip at Mom's... I'll be embarrassed and shamed for days! Let the F-word slip at Thanksgiving a year ago at my Mother's when Mr. Hixson said something totally off-the-wall and I was still in denial of his mental condition...

I'll never forget the look on my Mom's face...

[Linked Image]

<shudder>

My Granny however, could "curse the wall paper off the walls" (quote from Mike Warnke, I think...)

She was my hero!

[Linked Image]

My argument in my earlier years was "how can the mere oscillation of air molecules be offensive?" but, I know better now!

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-04-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard