ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#178768 06/11/08 01:36 PM
O
Oh Well Offline OP
Hello With regards to spas and hot tubs I'm told that rule 68-404 requires that a means of disconnect in case of emergencies must be located within sight of the tub. Could this possibly be a push button controlling a contactor inside the house? Or would simply using the button to trip the GFI be acceptable? Thanks in advance. Oh Well

M
Originally Posted by Oh Well
Hello With regards to spas and hot tubs I'm told that rule 68-404 requires that a means of disconnect in case of emergencies must be located within sight of the tub. Could this possibly be a push button controlling a contactor inside the house? Or would simply using the button to trip the GFI be acceptable? Thanks in advance. Oh Well

68-404 is talking about a hut tub control box. Usually the hot tub will come with one and located behind a removable cover. If not then the control box can be no closer that 1 meter horozontaly to the hot tub. This is so no one in the hot tub can contact any electrical equipment while sitting in it.

Last edited by mr_electrician; 06/11/08 01:48 PM.

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
M
If you are referring to 68-404 (4) A new to the 2006 CEC rule. Then a push-button with a contactor may be acceptable to your inspection department but check first as some jurisdictions won't accept a magnetic contactor as a disconnect. The control button should lock once pressed to ensure the contactor if acceptable won't reclose after you take your hand off the button.
This is for hot tubs and spas located in public locations like a community pool, hotel, or apartment building. You don't have to install this disconnect in a Single family dwelling except perhaps if a bed and breakfast is operating there. The rule came from a couple of entrapment drownings where part of a person or their clothing was trapped in the water inlet and the occupant drowned.

Link Copied to Clipboard