ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#178580 06/05/08 06:56 PM
C
ccdave Offline OP
Is it in the 2005 nec that all breakers must be labeled?
where please

ccdave #178585 06/05/08 08:55 PM
110.22 comes to mind in 2005 & previous

John
R
2005 code
408.4 Circuit Directory or Circuit Identification
Every circuit and circuit modification shall be legibly identified as to its clear, evident, and specific purpose or use. The identification shall include sufficient detail to allow each circuit to be distinguished from all others. The identification shall be included in a circuit directory that is located on the face or inside of the panel door in the case of a panelboard, and located at each switch on a switchboard.

2008 code
408.4 Circuit Directory or Circuit Identification.
Every circuit and circuit modification shall be legibly identified as to its clear, evident, and specific purpose or use. The identification shall include sufficient detail to allow each circuit to be distinguished from all others. Spare positions that contain unused overcurrent devices or switches shall be described accordingly. The identification shall be included in a circuit directory that is located on the face or inside of the panel door in the case of a panelboard, and located at each switch on a switchboard. No circuit shall be described in a manner that depends on transient conditions of occupancy.

Don(resqcapt19)
Cat Servant
Just a reminder ....

It is my practice to completely ignore the card/ sticker / label that comes with the panel. Instead, it is my practice to place a printed label on the face of the breaker itself.

Why? Because the ID remains even after you remove the cover, and you can re-position breakers at will. But I digress ...

Some folks took the position that the code, by requiring a "directory," either banned this practice of mine, or still required that the card be filled out.

For the 2008 code, I proposed that my method be allowed. The code panel's response was heartening: they said no change was needed, because, in their opinion, my method was already allowed by the code language.

So ... let's not get hung up on that word 'directory.'

T
No circuit shall be described in a manner that depends on transient conditions of occupancy.

How are you supposed to do that in say a residence with 5 bedrooms? Even if you number them anyone trying to identify the purpose of a breaker would need a plan with the room numbers, and likewise "north bedroom" would require a compass...

N
My opinion is the intent is for someone not to label a panel "Billy's bedroom" or "John's office" where the orig. occupants are long gone & then coming in trying to decide which is which.......

NORCAL #178686 06/09/08 11:00 AM
B
I think the intent of the code is to get away from seeing directories that list several breakers as "lights" or "outlets" or "plugs".

Homeowners and lay people don't know the lingo either and especially when things are spelled wrong like:

"lites", D/W, D/P, W/H, "smokes", "kit", "bath", "wash", "dry", ect.

Good examples would be:

"Master bathroom receptacles", "Guest Bedroom lighting and outlets", "dishwaher and disposer", Clothes Washer, Closthes Dryer, ect.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
S
I may be biased coming from an environment where everything was extremely well documented, but nothing can replace an accurate drawing. For something like receptacles, the only way to show it with no ambiguity is an actual labeled map of the building, with each receptacle, where it's fed from, and how the wiring is configured. I'd go as far as to say it should be required by building code to be updated to reflect as-built condition. Not necessarily full engineering drawings, but at least accurate and legible shop sketches.

And yes, I know this would be very difficult to do "the way it's always been done", but I contest the way it's always been done is wrong.

G
Steve, that is a great goal and I am in the process of doing that at my house as we speak but it in unenforceable in most residential construction scenarios.
Even in "cookie cutter" houses that you would assume are all wired alike the sparkies tend to take liberties with the plans because the buyer usually gets a chance to place outlets on the pre-drywall walk. As long as the outlet spacing is OK and the load seems to be evenly distributed across the GL circuits there is no good reason to fail them.
The electrical plan is really just a guideline at that point.
I would certainly not trust it as a point to point wiring diagram even if the receptacle and lighting distribution was right.

Greg Fretwell
J
Panle lables get really interesting in commercial. You find a breaker labled Joe Blow office. You need to find someone who has been working there for 25 years since Joe retired 20 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard