ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 526 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
No, I think contraptions like these exist everywhere near electricity, be it industrial or developing country wink

I mean, according to Austrian code you could even build a legal version, using proper surface mount sockets listed for mounting on combustible surfaces and providing proper strain relief, but using flush mount devices without a box and a romex staple for strain relief just doesn't cut it... that's tyical "let's just take all junk we've got in some corner of the shop and build something!"

saws dont need a blade guard, whats wrong with you?

-Joe
“then we'll glue em' then screw em'”
-Tom Silva
TOH
A
Originally Posted by renosteinke

I have a few problems with this design.
First of all, a pretty hefty 'triple tap' adapter for a standard cord costs about 1/4 what this contraption costs.

I often see this position stated on the forum, it's included to feign incredulity for why something was done as it was. And while I don't agree with it I see perfectly well how it happens.

In this case some carpenter helper was probably tasked with setting up tools for the "Master Carpenters" and did not have a budget nor was he allowed off site to purchase (goof off) the proper set up, and so he had to make do with what he could scrounge (a few electrical leftovers from a cabinet shipped that was the wrong spec). He probably also had to provide the plumbers with access to power as they already had their equipment plugged into the only legit outlet as they were on site at 6 am instead of 7. Not to mention that the proper set up is the one that gets stolen at every job and so you are actually penalized for having it with you. In the end the best workable setup ends up being the one pictured.

Cat Servant
Ann, it took some time, but I see you took the "bait." There most certainly were some other issues here, that had nothing to do with electrical work.

To wit: when the customer confronted me about taking pictures, I just had to laugh, and suggest that - maybe - he consider hiring licensed contractors. laugh To his credit, the customer had the grace to conceed that -perhaps- the guy just might not be legit, he was another customer he mat at the local mini-mart.

Oddly enough, I had provided power a month earlier for a major remodel. This 'contractor' was there to do work that the customer had waited until 'after the inspection' to have done. One might say they deserved each other.

Another long-time ECN contributor has waged something of a 'holy war' agains any sort of site-made electrical distribution center. Yet, even he found no fault with this:

[Linked Image from i143.photobucket.com]

It IS possible to make something. Most such attempts fail on one of these points:

1) Ther's no GFCI protection;
2) The cord is too light, or not suitable for the use;
3) There is inadequate strain rrlief at the connections;
4) There are places where the cord needs to be protected agains abrasion; and,
5) There are openings that will let debris get in, and contact the live parts.

This guy managed to fail on ALL these points. He would have been better served simply getting an extension cord with multiple taps at the end. He might even have saved some money. After all, we're not talking about one of those $500 'spider boxes.'

The risk of things being lost / stolen / damaged is a poor excuse. There is the duty a contractor has to show up with the tools necessary to do the job. In this particuler instance, "employee provided" vs. "company provided" was NOT an issue.

OK, I have to ask....what's under the flips? what's under the cover; a bell box?

I like the GF protection at the source!

John
Cat Servant
Ordinary duplex receptacles are under the covers. At the time, GFCI recepatcles were not considered adequate for job site protection (current models are OK).

All openings to the core of the reel were sealed (filler plates). The core itself was used as a 'box.' The wire passed through a strain relief fitting as it exited the core.

wow, they actually did some work on it, is this currently yours?...

-Joe
-Tom Silva
TOH
Cat Servant
Yes, it is laugh

Now, for the "why:"
When I made this, there were NO multi-receptacle 'construction duty' extension cords. Jobsite GFI's were hard to find, and quite expensive. It seemed that the only "acceptable" devices were the 'spider boxes,' and those were usually fitted with twist-lock receptacles.

I also wanted an orderly way to carry and store the extension cord.

Even today, a decade after I made this thing, comparable items sold in the "box stores" lack GFI protection, and use smaller cord. The reel holds 90 ft. of #12 SJTEOW cord. It also snaps atop a 5 gal bucket laugh

Things are improving, I did recently see a 'spider box' that, while still pricey, at least was outfitted with ordinary receptacles.
DeWalt has also come out with a 3-receptacle gadget that also has a built in light and two battery chargers.

I only regret that it has but four receptacles. Even the most basic job uses three: battery charger, light, and one tool.

awsome, can we have some pics of "under the hood" (cover)

-Joe
-Tom Silva
TOH
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard