ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 461 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Actually, this was a topic in our chat recently.

A good reminder that business chat is a great thing. I miss out on it due to the time difference in most cases. Got to remind myself to try to catch the tail end of them when I get home from the salt mines.

Z
Zapped Offline OP
In the 6 days since I started this thread, middle-grade gas has gone up to the $4.67 I paid yesterday. Some relief would be nice.

R
Gas in my area since last I posted shot from $1.25 /L to $1.34 /L and back down to $1.30 /L ( regular).. I am getting scared at what its going to be to fill the truck next time round.

A.D

Is this site a scam or not?, you decide:

here

Sounds like a good idea if it were true.

Actually,
This thread has got me thinking.
Now it is a stereo-type I know, but why must people in the US own vehicles with such large cylinder displacements, when a vehicle half the size would do the job adequately?

I own a Nissan Navara 2.4 Litre diesel utility vehicle that can do everything that I want it to and more, so why would I want something like a 3 or 4,(even 5 litre) sucking gas up to do the same thing.
Maybe I'm stupid, but I really can't see the point in having extra capacity that you will never really use.

IMO, these vehicles are merely a status symbol that a few people are regretting buying, now that fuel prices have really hit the straps.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to bash anyone that owns a large vehicle, but in these current times, are people down-sizing their vehicles or merely complaining that their gas-guzzlers don't fit their out of date budgets anymore?

Petrol hit NZ$2.20/litre here the other day and diesel is close in behind at NZ$1.85/litre.
Diesel vehicles are slowly pricing themselves off the market because of the added RUC (road user charges), where you must buy 10,000km's at a time to pay for "our roads".

Just my $0.02 worth

S
Regarding the Hydrogen producing, we had a guy in our area recently rig up the same thing in his own car. It was $15 in parts from anywhere,a pickle jar, some conduit to induce current and some other parts. He fed the hydrogen straight into the injectors. He said it increased his milage drastically. a friend called him, found out how to make it and is trying it. I'm waiting for his results, if it works I'll try it.

W
The process of electrolysis to produce hydrogen will not produce enough to make any difference. Most all these scams have one great limitation, physics. Any energy you use to make the hydrogen (from the car batt. ) has to come from the engine. The more hydrogen you make the more energy you need. Then you have the losses from conversion. The guys from mythbusters tested these devices, none worked. Like Trumpy said, the smaller the vehicle, the less energy it takes. The internal combustion engine is very inefficient, open the hood, what produces the heat? All that heat is wasted energy not sent to the drive wheels. You still paid for it! Robert

No process is 100% efficient. It takes energy to produce energy. There is no perpetual motion machine. There are the by-products produced by these processes.

No "pollution free" processes. No water to wine (or gas), no gold from granite.

Doesn't anybody understand that?

(BTW, Regular gas currently ranges from $4.37 gal to $4.91 here)

G
I just got back from a fly/drive vacation NH, Vt, NY, Ontario.
My most expensive gas I bought was around Lake Placid $4.39, (reg unl). The cheapest was near the Vt/NH border, $4.02 at a full serve station (remember those?). I saw some up in the $5.40s. $4.20 was a good average. Ontario is a whole different deal, $1.30CN a liter/~$5.04 a gallon (or $5.45 or more a gallon depending on who changed your dollars)

Greg Fretwell
Here in NJ regular ranges $ 3.85 to $ 3.99, and yes it's full service with NO self service by law.

High range was $ 4.79 gal for reg at two stations in Summit NJ. Yes there were customers at the pumps

Latest wrinkle I see is two level pricing. Like $ 3.85 CASH, and $ 3.95 Credit. It seems to be spreading and becoming the new way at most stations. Unfortunatley, it is a legal practice here as long as both prices are on the signs, and posted at the pumps.

Heard on the radio this afternoon oil hit $ 141 a barrel

John
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard