ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#178562 06/04/08 05:07 PM
I get many calls from customers thinking we can just pig tail copper onto aluminum with the proper # 63 marrette. I have always thought it was best to replace the devices with c0/alr devices but i havent seen these in Decora.

R
I dont think there is such an animal as a CO/ALR rated decora device..
A.D

M
Yes I have some on order through Westburn Ruddy, they are purple, chemically treated and allow for different expansion rates or so the sales promo tells me. I thought the was a marrett with a copper tail that was allowed for AL wired homes. I have seen a few homes with AL/CU mixed and was looking for the best way (penetrox and an 833 with a piece of CU takes up space)to help these people out.

M
Sorry, I should have read the question better and I have not seen a AL Decora device.

U
Has anyone seen a Cu/AL pigtail (well-twisted and w/compound) go bad?

I'm curious because to me it seems like as good - or better - a connection than #12 AL wrapped on the screw terminal. Then you don't need to keep AL-rated devices in the truck.

T
twh Offline
I haven't seen many cu/al connections, at all. Has anyone seen a cu/al connection last for 10 or 20 years?

M
Please correct me but isn't that the problem: 10-20 years of mixed metals causing corrosion and heat? I understand that Penetrox should be redone every 5 years (but they say the fixture should be replaced every 5 years)

H
what about split bolts?

K
I know the OP and most of the other posters in this thread are from the great white north, but wanted to chime in anyway.
Last year I switched to the connectors below after learning some unsavory info about those purple wirenuts.
These are listed for CU and AL wires. The only thing is that you will need to buy and use a torque-limiting screwdriver to install them for UL/CSA listing compliance. They can also fill up a device box quickly if you have several splices to make.
The company sent a free sample connector before I purchased in quantity.

Here is the product link. http://www.alcopstore.com/

Originally Posted by KJay
I know the OP and most of the other posters in this thread are from the great white north, but wanted to chime in anyway.
Last year I switched to the connectors below after learning some unsavory info about those purple wirenuts.
These are listed for CU and AL wires. The only thing is that you will need to buy and use a torque-limiting screwdriver to install them for UL/CSA listing compliance. They can also fill up a device box quickly if you have several splices to make.
The company sent a free sample connector before I purchased in quantity.

Here is the product link. http://www.alcopstore.com/

I got the sample also but i have not found a Canadian supplier for them yet

I have a stock of these i use for now.

http://www.tnb-canada.com/en/catalogues/online/comresconstruction/pdf/c5/09_marrcat_e.pdf

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard