ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Doug,
I ordered them right from the Alcopstore website. I saw this on their Q&A webpage about shipping to Canada. No doubt you would get hammered on the freight charges though. frown

2) Do you ship to Canada?
Yes, we do. But, we need you to call us at 877-614-7185 so we can get you a custom shipping quote. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

T
I've used both methods of aluminum terminations (pigtails/COALR devices) COALR Devices are quick to use, however still not offered in DECORA. 63's (brown) are the maurettes I would use for CU/AL pigtailing. I have not heard of any problems with these methods. When performing this work at a house with aluminum wiring, usually I find evidence of burning/arcing in one or two splices.

E
I also use the brown #63/65's.
I was under the impression that you only need penatrox on STRANDED aluminum conductors (12-118[2]). I only use CO/ALR devices when there is a box fill problem. They're too expensive!!

M
Marette makes approved copper to Aluminum wire nuts and they are available at most Canadian Wholesale outlets.
Wire nuts compensate for the different expansion rates or copper, steel and aluminum. CU/AL approved devices are good but with the added expense IE a receptacle can be more than $12.00 that we see mostly copper tails and yes I know of them in use for more than 10 years.
The original problem with aluminum wire was related to the change from true brass screws to steel screws with brass or chrome plating. The aluminum expanded faster than the steel and would flow out from under the steel screw. This made the connection loose and we all know how that works out. We don't see Loomex (Romex) in aluminum except for range wire and feeders. The wire itself has changed too. Most have had alloys added to improve the mechanical properties and to help with the expansion problems. A range plug is usually approved for both CU and AL.
From personal experience I go with pig tails over devices for the normal 15 amp branch circuits. So far no call backs where the right connector was used.

Originally Posted by mikesh
Marette makes approved copper to Aluminum wire nuts and they are available at most Canadian Wholesale outlets.
Wire nuts compensate for the different expansion rates or copper, steel and aluminum. CU/AL approved devices are good but with the added expense IE a receptacle can be more than $12.00 that we see mostly copper tails and yes I know of them in use for more than 10 years.
The original problem with aluminum wire was related to the change from true brass screws to steel screws with brass or chrome plating. The aluminum expanded faster than the steel and would flow out from under the steel screw. This made the connection loose and we all know how that works out. We don't see Loomex (Romex) in aluminum except for range wire and feeders. The wire itself has changed too. Most have had alloys added to improve the mechanical properties and to help with the expansion problems. A range plug is usually approved for both CU and AL.
From personal experience I go with pig tails over devices for the normal 15 amp branch circuits. So far no call backs where the right connector was used.

Does the #63 or #65 marrette wire connector need the anti oxidant There is nothing on the box stating it has to be used. just says cu-cu cu-AL AL-AL

M
In Canada all aluminium connections require an anti oxidizing compound for stranded wires. See 12-118 for all the rules covering the termination of aluminium wires. some terminations and splices are approved without it.
The rules don't otherwise define a requirement for anti-oxidant pig tail connections of solid aluminium to solid or stranded copper. Bottom line is follow the instruction the box if you are not installing a copper tail to stranded aluminium wire.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard