ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
pauluk Offline OP
Electricity supply is expected to return to normal today following nationwide blackouts yesterday affecting half a million people.

Hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses across London, Cheshire, Merseyside and East Anglia were affected between 11am and 1pm yesterday.

Full story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ants-shut-bad-weather-sweeps-nation.html

R
Thanks for that info pauluk.
Was your area affected too ?

We have similar problems here soon in NZ. Hydrolevels low, profits up and not enough thermal capacity at the moment.
I will post when D day arrives in about 3 to 4 weeks.

Regards, Raymond

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
P
pauluk Offline OP
We weren't affected where I am, although it seems that some towns in Suffolk (next county to the south) were blacked out, and there were also failures in mid-Lincolnshire (next county north/northwest).

P
pauluk Offline OP
Reading from various sources, it seems that what happened is that the Longannet power station (about 2400MW capacity) up in Fife, Scotland, had an unexpected shutdown, and this was followed within 2 minutes by another unexpected shutdown of Sizewell B nuclear in Suffolk (about 1200MW).

The resulting loss of capacity brought in automatic load shedding to stabilize the network. Somebody on the IEE forum noted from UPS logs and the National Grid's realtime network page that the grid frequency had dropped right down to 48Hz.

R
The under frequency relays at least worked OK.

In NZ they are set to 47.8 Hertz for selected feeders and 47.5 Hertz for all feeders in substations of the local POCO Auckland distribution network, to avoid a complete blackout.

We tested all our UF relays about 2 months ago in preparation for an interesting wintertime with low hydro levels.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.

Link Copied to Clipboard