ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 297 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#178246 05/26/08 08:51 PM
R
I may be asking a redundant question here, but as the cost of fuel is still climbing I am pondering supplementing the 3500 GMC Savannha I currently use. It is a diesel and gets about 8 miles to the gallon with the gear I carry. Of course the gear I carry is way more then anyone needs but since I provide emergency service I take pride in knowing that I have the tools at my ready to for just about anything.
I am looking at a considerable lighter duty truck for everyday use. It is the GMC Canyon. Seems about big enough to carry the daily necessary tools (pocket tools) and materials one would need and gets up to 20 miles on the highway, empty of course. So if I get 15 mpg I'm still amost twice my current situation.
Is anybody using this particular truck or own one and have any pros or cons? The commercial grade comes with the Z71 suspension and a utility body.
As always, thanks for the feed back.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
B
I don't know the Canyon but I've been stewing on this topic.

If service work is your bread and butter (or you make enough off those spur of the moment calls...) you don't have any choice really but to drive some sort of "rolling gang box and supply shop" every day and pay whatever that may be. The diesel Freightliner (or similar) may be a moderate option.

But, if new construction is your main gig... then think outside the box some. A rollback tow truck could have your 'mobilization gear' (gangboxes/ladders/etc) delivered once and have all your heavier material delivered too; then drive an econo-box with your hand tools like a green helper. Tools don't require that much room, maybe something big enough to hold a 6 foot ladder.

Having a second vehicle (and second set of "basic" tools) is a false economy. Whatever you pay to buy, register, insure, equip, maintain, etc is going to add up quick. Divide that number by $5/gallon gas and then calculate how many miles will it take over how long a time to equal let alone get you ahead? And you still have to buy fuel for it, Ya know?

Design-Build isn't supposed to mean design *as* you build.
Cat Servant
Reno's a pretty small town ... you can get nearly anywhere in 15 minutes.

With that in mind, believe me, I'm beginning to think in terms of a street-legal Cushman (Meter Maid cart), and carry the minimum for the day - saving the big truck for the big jobs, or jobs outside of town!

N
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Reno's a pretty small town ... you can get nearly anywhere in 15 minutes.

With that in mind, believe me, I'm beginning to think in terms of a street-legal Cushman (Meter Maid cart), and carry the minimum for the day - saving the big truck for the big jobs, or jobs outside of town!

For a complete package you will need a skirt to go along with that.

U
Might be time to focus on restricting yourself to work within a smaller travel radius wink

I didn't realize what an impact it was having until I moved to an island. I get 8-10mpg on my rolling shop also - diesel E350. My vehicle expenses are down, and it doesn't take 10+ hours to put in an 8 hour day.

u2slow #178269 05/27/08 07:08 AM
R

Bryan, in regards to false economy, I don't think that this is a false economy situation. I think it is a reality of cutting expenses.
I average 700 miles a week, pretty easy to do around here, Diesel is approx $4.40 a gallon. At 8 miles to the gallon I am using 87.5 gallons of fuel a week which equals 385.00 or $1668.00 per month. It was tolerable a year ago when the fuel was around 3.00 or so a gallon.
The new truck will get around 15 miles to the gallon or 46 gallons a week. With gas a little cheaper then diesel at an avg of 3.89 right now it will reduce the fuel cost to 179.00 a week or 775.00 a month.
The new truck will cost around 350.00 a month depreciated over five years. So far it is a 600 a month savings. If I am not driving the "rolling gang box" it is not costing me other then insurance which is minimal compare to the savings I have calculated.

T
twh Offline
I wouldn't rely on a manufacturer's mpg claim, unless you are driving downhill with the wind, both ways, pay extra for high octane fuel, and drive at 45mph. I've never made it even with an empty vehicle. Be careful.

twh #178306 05/27/08 08:30 PM
S

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
R
Sparky.... I don't know were you found those but they were not what I was expecting. I just had a good laugh when I saw those, thanks

S
Yahoo search. The way things are going the only economical choice is the bicycle. I work with this kid one time. Him and his wife had only one car. Every once in a while he would show up on the job site with his tools and lunch box in the kiddie trialer which drove my boss bonkers.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard