ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#178210 05/26/08 11:32 AM
Cat Servant
At another forum (Fine Homebuilding), a general contractor posted the following thread. What is your take on the issues raised?

"Because after I finished a job I used him on, he went back and did more work for the h.o. without asking me. I was mad at the h.o. for hiring my sub behind my back, but madder at the sub for doing it. I let him know, and he apologized and said he wasn't thinking. But that was after he said I finished my contract, and so what did it matter what happened after I left?

I told him as the GC it was my job and my client. If she had hired him to work on another house thats one thing, but this was my project. If he had called me, chances are I would have told him to take it and don't worry about it - but he didn't call me, and that's what ticked me off.

I asked him if it was cool with him if, after he finished a job and got paid, I hired his helper to come out and do a few extras on the same job. Not the same as doing a side job for the neighbor, he admitted."

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
L
LK Offline
Just my way of looking at it, the GC's account, the sub had no respect for the relationship with the GC, just more of the me me me generation. If i was GC i would simply remove the sub from my list and avoid and future work or referals. In short find a sub i can work with, and form a good working relationship.

"he apologized and said he wasn't thinking."

not thinking, a big problem with a lot of the just do it generation.

B
In the middle of the job? No question; the sub shouldn't.
Long time after the job? No question; the GC has no role anymore.
In the middle period (move in to 2 years?)...
this is the potential time frame for a phone call.

The GC may be getting squeezed by a new contractor for that bonus room finish or an add on but if this were so then why didn't you get a call from that GC to do the wiring related?

This street has to run both ways.

Design-Build isn't supposed to mean design *as* you build.
P
Once the contract (the job the HO originally hired the GC for) has been completed, the GC is out of the picture. I'm doing electrical work, why should I ask the GC if it's okay if I do additional electrical work? I'm hired by the GC to wire an addition. We finish the job and the HO likes my work and wants me to wire some high hats in another area. I now have to ask the GC if it's okay? That's ludicrous. If I get a job for a GC, I don't expect a percentage from him. I could see if we were in the same trade, but most of the GCs I've worked for are builders.

L
LK Offline
"I now have to ask the GC if it's okay? That's ludicrous. If I get a job for a GC, I don't expect a percentage from him."

If your in the electrical contracting business, then you would understand that good Builders and GC's not handymen type GC's but ones with a ligitment business, need to cover large overhead costs, and securing new accounts cost money, we would never think of stealing the GC or Builders account, and cutting his mark-up, something a side jobber or handyman might do.

Yes, the GC found the account, it was his time and money, that secured the account, just because your invited in to do sub work, does not give you the right contract on your own, some GC's and builders have sub contracts that spell out penalty for stealing work, and some even end up in law suits.

Last edited by LK; 05/26/08 05:22 PM.
G
If the house was "closed" it is really none of the GC's business who works on it. This is the customer's house. If this was still under an open permit the GC had, I can see his problem.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Greg, I had not thought about using the permit as defining the scope of the job. It would provide an important benchmark.

BTW, I suggest that all visit / join the FH site, and read this entire thread. "Got angry with my electrician" has gone to well over 100 posts .... many of which are enlightening.

G
Not as much the permit as the actual "closing" where ownership changes. Usually that happens about the same time tho. Back in the "happy days" they even closed houses without the CO in place if they were coming up on a quarter end or year end and needed the points. That usually ended up being more expensive because the customer wanted something extra most of the time.

Greg Fretwell
P
What is the F/H site?

N
Fine Homebuilding.

http://forums.taunton.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard