ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Gosh, thanks for all the support and encouragement, fellas.

Spent some time talking to a lawyer/customer while on a job today, and he had lots of advice. Travel time and time getting materials (which I generally don't charge for, since I do generally add a mark-up) is killing me.

Yesterday, for instance:

7:45 AM Leave home.
8:00 AM Pick up helper.
8:45 AM Fuel up.
9:00 AM On site.
12:00 Noon Go to supplier, find out that the ceiling fans that had come in aren't paid for and the GC's account has been cancelled.
12:30 Find GC to get check for ceiling fans, etc.
13:00 Back to supplier to pick up stuff. Due to the fact that I don't want everything that he ordered (just the fan parts) then the paperwork increases exponentially, as does the time to take care of it.
13:30 Lunch (finally)
14:00 On site
17:15 Go to Walmart for cheap soda and lunch items for the week.
18:00 On the way back to hometown.
18:30 Drop off Helper.
18:45 Home

So, helper's on the clock from 8:00 to 18:30. Minus 1/2 hour for lunch. 10 hours total. I owe him $100 for the day.

Productive (Billable) time:
9:00 to 11:00 and
14:00 to 17:15

This was an underbid job already in progress before I got a helper, so I keep making less and less money on that job.

Didn't have my helper today. (Pretty day, he's mulching leaves with his other job yet..) And I came across a fellow EC's foreman. Asked if they were looking to hire a helper cause I think I've bit off more than I can chew.

At least I got Jimmy a possible job if it don't work out with me.

[Linked Image]

I haven't even considered Christmas yet... I gotta make it through this week first!

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-03-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
G
Virgil,

Better start playing that bass 5 nites a week! [Linked Image] Keep your head up it will work out. Best of luck!

W
Sparky66;
Can or do any of your elec supply houses delivery to your residence?

Wirenuttt,
Too big-league for me right now. They would, but I can't afford the extra inventory (net due in 30 days) and I have no place to store it if I did. I learned that even cheap stuff like Romex and devices tend to become noticably worn due to vibration and abrasion from riding in the truck, and become useless pretty darn quick. I carry no more than one roll of each type of wire at a time due to this problem.

I have a whole shed of "new" materials I've tried to salvage, the Bad GFCI on a past thread may have been one of them! I need a small, environmentally controlled, vermin free building to put materials in, and I've been dreaming about one, but even that seems out-of-reach right now.

Master66,
I haven't had credit with my supplier very long, and they really went out on a limb in the first place atfer seeing my horrible credit rating. (Chapter 7 on a past business) but yes, I've been keeping them as informed as possible, and they ("he" actually - manager Rob) do appreciate it.

The bank wouldn't give me anything on a credit line last summer, but I could show them my statement for July (My big $10.8K month this year {editted- I checked my records and had exaggerated a bit}), and tell them that with a small loan, December and January look good to match those numbers as well...

Think they'll buy it?

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-04-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
W
66;
thought more on the lines of on demand delivery, like if u know your going to use it in the next 2-3 days, have it there at your house by the time u get in for the day, place it in the truck in the morning. Be on the job a little earlier and less stressed knowing u have what u need. CArry a cell phone on the job for your next order from the site, while keeping your helper busy and supervised. Don't mean to pry, and I'm sure you've done plenty of business, just trying to help.

Oh, I love the help!

Truth is, I'm fairly new to the EC game, third year, starting the fourth. I've been an ECN member almost as long as an EC!

I would like to implement your idea. I guess I have a problem planning that far ahead. Before, I worked alone and could "play it by ear", now with a helper, things have to be planned ahead or I'll be p!$$ing in the wind!

A minimum round trip to work is 50 miles ( country miles , mind you), I usually do closer to 85 (actual average from mileage spreadsheet). Lots of windshield time.

Can I legally pay my helper "by the job" or do I have to pay him for all hours - including 1-1/2 hours minimum travel round trip?

That could help a lot!

Allow me to add that I've considered having him meet me at the jobs driving his own car. It would solve several problems. But... he lives within 2 miles of me, and it makes no sense (on a moral level) to have two vehicles do the job of one.

I've only had three jobs in my hometown (not including doing stuff for Mom) so having him drive to jobs seems to be a waste. All of my other jobs are in the "city" and various and sundry rural locations.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-03-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
C
Virgil, my prayers are with you.

-Peter

Peter
Z
You do not need to pay him for travel time. He should be happy you are picking him up. My guys are paid for time on the job no travel time except during the day. No pay for trip to job or back. Some pay for trip one way? We have paid break and lunch though. 10 min. break and 15 min. lunch. You could make him drive to the job with his own vehicle. Hope this helps............Brian

ZR600,

Oops! I editted without refreshing and didn't see your post!

Yup, I considered having him drive, but I editted the cons above into an earlier post without seeing yours... (You had the idea before I posted it, in other words... FYI to others trying to figure this all out!)

Don't some of you have an HQ where you meet and clock in, get the van, get materials, then travel to your job and be paid for all of it?

I guess I want to be fair, but I also want to survive!

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Z
I know what you mean. But I think if you let him know just a little bit about your situation he will understand. You as a small contractor will have a hard time justifying two hours or so of travel time a day paid to a helper. I think if you explain it to him that you could have him drive with no pay or "ride" with no pay he may see that riding is cheaper for him. Hope things work out.............Brian

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard