ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Y
Theres 45 units , Each has Bathroom, Small Kitchen. Bedroom or bedrooms. Each Kitchen has Fridge , Microvave. No Range.(Main Meals cooked in central kichen servered in dining area. (No health care)If a small panel is intalled in every room .(kitchen circuits, Light circuit, bathroom circuit, General purpose outlets. Can the in floor Bathroom in floor electric heaters be put on a General purpose panel located elseware.
Reason Each bathroom Floor electric heater draws 5.2 amps x45 =234 more amps on the standby Generator.
Rooms would then be on Generator but bathroom floor heaters not be on generator.
There is other heat in the rooms that would be on the generator.
No seperate meters. Total building on one.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Assume the building is under supervision of qualified person 24/7, and the control for said heater is in the unit, and can be switched "off"...I would say yes you can do what you want.

Just MHO

John
S
Yes, the heaters can be fed from a separate panel, so long as they're all fed from the same service. It's common to feed lighting and heating from separate panels- half the time, they're at different voltages anyhow.

If there is the intention to plug medical equipment into the receptacle outlets in these rooms, then I would not risk putting the heaters on the generator circuit if there is a potential to overload. It's more than an inconvenience, it's potentially lives at stake.

Cat Servant
The OP is in Michigan. I submit that heat is one thing that ought to be on the generator.

G
Is this actual space heating that we're discussing or just a radiant floor in the bathroom?
If all that would occur if it went out were that you would need slippers it may be different that if the whole unit dropped to freezing.

Ghost307
The OP already stated that there is other heat in the rooms that would be on the generator.

Cat Servant
Thank you, electure ... I missed that.

Having grown up near Lake Michigan ... winter heat is never far from my thoughts laugh

S
Originally Posted by renosteinke
The OP is in Michigan. I submit that heat is one thing that ought to be on the generator.
He didn't mention general heat, so I assumed it wasn't an issue and this was just comfort heat for the bathroom.

"I've fallen, and I can't get up... and the floor is freezing cold!"

Always two ways to skin it if you're facing a gen overload- reduce load from the generator panel, or increase the size of the genny. I'd just bump the genset up another 50kVA and call it a day, but I'm not paying the bill. A lot of that money would likely be recouped in cost avoidance of special cable runs.

Y
The General Heat for the room would be on the Generator in each room as stated. The Heat under the floor in the bathroom would not. 50 kva here & 50 kva there starts adding up.
Note Basement underneath the units is also heated area.

G
Ernie- I'm not sure what kind of "electric floor heat" you are referring to but another item that often gets overlooked is the need for GFCI protection on the conductors. 434.44(G). If it is a concrete or poured floor and I understand that to include the material used with ceramic floors, it needs GFCI protection. Some manufacturers have GFCI protection in their thermostat and some have GFPE and if it's GFPE you'd end up with adding GFCI protection. But, again it's not clear just what kind of floor or heat you are dealing with. There is also no exceptions for any voltage. I've seen 240v., 120v. and 32v.

George Little
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard