ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 379 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
marsbar Offline OP
So what if this ends up backfiring, home owners keep doing thier own work but now there is no inspection and something is installed unsafe. The owner would be aware because he probably called for a permit or inspection and gets told to pay $75 - $100/hr for a contractor.

Cat Servant
Just for everyone's amusement, I'd like to explaing how this topic is handled in Reno, Nv. ,,, aka "south of the border." laugh

First, any employer can hire anyone.

If the employer is a manufacturer, and he wishes to have this person do electrical work, the employer need only pay a few dollars, and the city will issue that person an 'industrial electrician' card. The card is of no value outside of that employer - it is not transferable to another employer, nor does it imply any particular competence.

If the employer is an electrical contractor, the employer needs a state- issued EC license. For this you need pass two tests - one on the electrical code, and one on contracting law. In order to take the tests, you must be able to document five years of journeyman level work for a licensed electrical contractor.

The EC may hire anyone as a 'helper.' If the person is to do electrical work, they must hold either an apprentice 'card' or a journeyman 'card' that is issued on behalf of the city.
For the apprentice card, the applicant needs to be officially enrolled in one of two (federal) Dept. of Labor recognized apprenticeship programs.
For the journeyman card, the apprentice must complete the four years' of coursework, as well as document 8000 hours of work for a licensed EC, with that experience spread among different areas.

Let me put this system in perspective.

I know one gent who spent 23 years as an electrician in the Navy. Beginning as a simple seaman, he retired as a full Captain. He was not allowed to even take the test for the journeyman card in Reno. He was able to take the state test as a 'qualified employee' and worked for five years under another EC license. That is, the employer - who was not qualified to take the test - was able to be an 'electrical contractor' only because he had this gent as his 'qualified employee.'

Another man came to Reno, after several years in serious industrial electrical experience. Not having a journeymans' card from the electricians' union, his experience was not recognized. The apprentice programs felt he was 'too old,' and would not let him into the programs. He found an employer who (officially) only used him on 'outside of town' jobs, he paid his own way through the courses, and after four years of work compelled the city to let him take the test for the journeymans' card. Five years after that, he tested for, and received his EC license. Which is fortunate, as his employer for these nine years was ready to retire laugh.

Who said any government had a monopoly on insanity?

M
marsbar Offline OP
From what I am learning it's not that different up here. The EASC is adverising this fact now on the radio, but if a homeowner who used to be able to do work in his/her own home and pay for an inspection to make sure everything is done properly is no longer able to do that, do you think he or she will pay the contractor to do the work or not get the inspection?

M
Originally Posted by marsbar
From what I am learning it's not that different up here. The EASC is adverising this fact now on the radio, but if a homeowner who used to be able to do work in his/her own home and pay for an inspection to make sure everything is done properly is no longer able to do that, do you think he or she will pay the contractor to do the work or not get the inspection?

A home owner is still legally allowed to do his or her own work, but is still required by law to take out proper permits and get an inspection.

Never trust an electrician with no eyebrows!!
M
marsbar Offline OP
Yes, you are correct. I was speaking with our local ESA inspector and we were talking about this as well. Todd Brown (ESA) said that a homeowner must sign a form that says they have done thier own work, he also mentioned that one can take paermits out for work for: family, service groups or church, basically he said that if you are doing the work for free there isn't a problem it's when someone is taking work away from contractors that causes the issue.

M
marsbar Offline OP
I should have put this on the previous post, our ESA inspector also mentioned that they are getting rid of the 442A and going to 309a and 309d, anyone with a 442 can be grandfathered to a 309. Has anyone heard about this?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard