ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 518 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Y
George
Looked up 424.44(G) references Concrete or poured Masonry floors but didn't see reference to Ceramic Floors Tile Floors?? ???

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

May I suggest reading the install instructions/directions, and/or specs from the mfg.

Also, do you have plans/specs for the job? The EE/PE/Arch should have addressed this, or it should have been a note in Plan Review for the permit.

IMHO, GF protection, although the 'tile' floor is nor specifically stated in the NEC should be installed. Personally, I would install GF.

John
G
Depending on the manufacturer of the "floor heat" it may or may not have a thermostat that incorporates GFCI protection. "Easy Heat" specifically says in their installation guide that a GFCI protected circuit must be used per NFPA 70. Easy Heat has a thermostat that has GFPE protection and does not provide people protection due to the trip level of GFPE. There is no question in my mind that floor heat in a tile floor in a bathroom needs GFCI protection. When this first came in the code it was explained in the IAEI Analysis that the need for GFCI protection was based on the fact that the grout joints can allow water to get to the heating mat/tape and cause a problem.

George Little
George:
Well said!

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard