ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 266 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#177849 05/13/08 07:59 PM
B
BigJohn Offline OP
I often see pipes mounted on the wall that have LBs where an LR or and LL would have made the cover more accessible. I always thought this was just a hack by somebody too lazy to get the proper fitting, until....

We had to pull three #4s and a ground into an 1&1/4" pipe and somebody got the bright idea of puting an LR at a corner (no, it wasn't me, but I thought it was a good idea, too.)

I have pulled 500s that went into the pipe easier than those stupid wires went around the corner of that LR. Was this a fluke, or is it just generally a bad idea to use LL/LR fittings on anything larger than maybe #10 or #8? Should I adopt the practice of using sideways LBs for all big wire?

-John

T
twh Offline
If you really want an LR, oversize it and use reducer bushings. The extra space makes it a lot easier. A junction box is even better and they cost less than an LB.

Cat Servant
Conduit bodies are nearly always a PITA ... especially if there's one at either end of the pipe!

If you MUST use one, it's best to arrange the pull so that the wire enters the box from the short side, and exits the long side. When the pull is nearly complete, a tug from the end where you first began will pull the wires in nice, straight, and tight.

However, I prefer to use a box in place of the bodies for the smaller pipe sizes, and a short piece of gutter for the larger sizes. Not only is the pull easier, the final install looks cleaner too!

K
Has anybody used the Anybody from Arlington?
http://www.aifittings.com/new_images/anybody_p2.jpg

D
I just got some of those Anybody's in and they seem to work good. But like what others already have said it is tougher to pull around an LR than an LB

T
twh Offline
The Anybody is too ugly to use anywhere that it might be seen. It is a good idea, though.

Anybody ever use LBD's? Use a size larger than the conduit you're running and RE down the hubs.... Much easier to get the covers on with large wire pulls vs. a standard LB

Crouse Hinds LBD

We also use LL's LR's T's, TB's TA's, etc. out where I work.. Many tight spots and these all must remain accessible

R
I avoid LRs and LLs if possible and never use them if the wires are larger than #10.
As far as the use of the LBDs or oversized LBs, in many cases this is required by the code rules. Conduit bodies are covered by 314.28. If you are using an LB with #4 or larger conductors and the LB is not marked for the maximum number and size of conductors then the LB must comply with the size requirements found in 314.28(A)(2).

Don(resqcapt19)
G
We sold a lot of these Mogul conduit bodies at Appleton Electric when the NEC changed to require them back several cycles ago.
My favorite was the BUB, which had the cover at 45 degrees. A pull in either direction was a straight shot without hitting the wall of the casting.

Ghost307

Link Copied to Clipboard