ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Well that didn't work quite right but I don't have time to figure it out right now.

B
The innards of that load center look very similar to the one in my house, which is a 24-space Siemens panel that was installed in 1994. Do you want the model number for that panel?

C
Trumpy- Thanks for fixing the link. What was I doing wrong?

Brian- I'd love the #. Any help is welcome. Thanks.

B
The catalog number for my panel which is a 20 space panel, not a 24 space as I thought, is G2040MB1200.

The part number for a 24 space panel is G2440MB1200, according to a PDF file I found on Siemen's website.

No idea if these part numbers are still available.

A
You know I really cant beleive the responses on here. Only thing to be done in this case is replace the panel!!

Changing anything in a UL rated panel voids any UL rating. You are opening up yourself for extreme liability if anything remotely to do with this panel where to go wrong after you touched it. My god its 20 years old. REPLACE the PANEL. I see responses from some of you and any respect I had for you goes right out the window. Sometimes I come here just and shake my head.

Last edited by ayrton; 06/01/08 05:28 PM.
Cat Servant
Ayrton, I appreciate your concern. Yet, I'm not sure I follow your argument.

First of all, even UL will not say something 'voids' the listing. The most UL will say is "we don't know." In many cases, they will say "sure, go ahead."

For example, the replacement inserts made by Cutler-Hammer are specifically listed for replacing the insides of other panels. It's a legitimate product.

Second - as in the job I did - it's pure silliness to assert that replacing the damaged innards of a Brand X panel with new innards from another Brand X panel could in any way affect the listing, or safety, of the panel.

Finally - again as in my instance - it's not always possible to replace the panel. Or, at least, not possible without major construction efforts and a prolonged shutdown of a business that really couldn't be shut down.

As for the panel being "old" at twenty years .... it's been my experience to rarely see equipment that new! I just came from a place whose equipment was old when Eisenhower was president. When my own home was wired, Hitler was still planning to invade Poland.

S
ayrton, since you're chiding everything on this thread, I assume that you've read the links that winnie provided? Then by now you understand that the cabinet is not part of the panel. The cabinet is the "cabinet", and the panel is the "panelboard", which needs of course to be mounted in a cabinet.

I haven't seen anyone here suggest modifying a panel; they have only suggested mounting an unmodified, new panel into an existing cabinet.

No problem there.

And if you're still queasy about that, follow winnie's links, and the links in MikeHoltForum threads that winnie linked to, to find UL Listed retrofit panels (or panel interiors if you prefer) in Cutler Hammer's CH, BR, and PRL1a lines that are listed to be retrofitted into any cabinet of suitable size.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard