ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
I am thinking about doing some estimates on bigger projects, but would like to have a practice bid first. Does anyone have a project that you have bid on and won, that I might be able to pratice on? I would like to figure the price, and see how close I come to your winning bid. I would like to try this "Before" I try an actual bid. I mostly do small work, though I have done large jobs before when I worked for "the other man". If you have one or know of one that I might try, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks... Steve

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
S
The only practice that will help is jumping in with both feet. Let's say for a moment that you do get a old bid from some one. It will not help you in what you are looking for. Some of the reasons are like cost location factors, rising prices for material and fuel. Just because you think you can beat someone elses bid doesn't make you a good bidder. The bid you are trying to beat could have missed things. You know what your company is capable of. Look for projects that you know that you can handle and bid on them and pad it some. As your experience and cofidence grows, you will get some of the projects if your prices are reasonable. Just do not bite off more then you can chew AND READ THE FINE PRINT!!!. The devil is in the details.

Last edited by sparkyinak; 05/10/08 04:33 PM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
L
LK Offline
Steve,

Estimating skills take years of practic to develope, and you need a good mentor to teach these skills, the statement low bids do not always win the jobs is true, when i worked for a company on the other end of things, I would sit in on the bid reviews, I was shocked to see the larger percent of bid winners were at or near the higher end of the project, many of your better companies, the ones with the ability to pay are looking for contractors with the experience, and a good track record on past projects, also the note to "READ THE FINE PRINT!!!. The devil is in the details, is critical in every bid.

There are classes on estimating, that have qualified instructors that can help you along the learning curve.

A
I recommend this book. It has some practice estimates in it that include a Bakery, Drug Store, Beauty Salon, Doctor's Office and Insurance Office. It steps you through the wole process of estimating these jobs.
http://mikeholt.com/EstimatingSoftware.php

L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by A-Line
I recommend this book. It has some practice estimates in it that include a Bakery, Drug Store, Beauty Salon, Doctor's Office and Insurance Office. It steps you through the wole process of estimating these jobs.
http://mikeholt.com/EstimatingSoftware.php

If you can not find a local course, that is an excellant book.

W
In my humble opinion,
you can calculate, figure, scrutinize and tally
all you want. The jobs usually won't go for more than what the market will bear. When the market is tight some contractors are so hungry they actually lose money in their quest to get back to work. Start by Figuring all the material and other overhead costs.
Break the job down into as many little segments as possible and put a labor figure on each task. Add the labor up and see if you get a warm fuzzy feeling inside when you visualize yourself signing the contract to actually do the job. After testing the market for a while you will get the feel of what the jobs are going for. Keep trying to push the envelope to get the best price you can for your services. If you are landing almost every job, it's time to beef up the bids a little. More info than you asked for but I thought it might also help other newbies.

S
I just got a chance to do a considerably small commercial bid. (1) 3phase 100 amp panel, and (1) 400 amp 3 phase panel fed out of an existing traugh, 1440 sq. ft., mostly lighting, few receptacles, HVAC, etc. This seems to be about what I was looking for earlier. I expect I'll be bidding against some more experienced bidders, but I got to start sometime. Seems like if I'm ever going to really make it, commercial is the way to go. Seems like residential is slowing down anyway due to the economy in my area. Maybe this is my start in the big times smile

Link Copied to Clipboard