ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#177627 05/08/08 07:22 PM
This is one of the four barges that we (US Forest Service) use on the Tongass National Forest. It is completely self-contained with generators, water treatment, sewage, laundry, and it can sleep 12 people. This allows my co-workers to work and stay remotely instead commuting which is expensive and cna be dangerous on the rare good days.

I am currently upgrading the solar power on it hence the angle of the pic. I will get a better one tomorrow. We have another barge that is going go into the ship yard in the next couple of weeks for the steelwork and installing a generator for a similar solar power system. The other two barges will get done too eventually.

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

I
Very cool. I love Alaska. It's remoteness and rugged beauty are breathtaking.

Cat Servant
Interesting idea. I take it there is NO connection to any utility.

I'm curious ... are any steps taken to bond neighboring barges to each other?

I want one. laugh

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Design question... Why are the solar panels off the side like that, instead of on the roof or another less obtrusive location?

G
My guess, the sun is never straight up in Alaska, or even close.

Greg Fretwell
S
To answer the questions:

Renosteinke:
Interesting idea. I take it there is NO connection to any utility.
It is plugged into 30 amp pedistal. The boat in in front of it.

I'm curious ... are any steps taken to bond neighboring barges to each other?
We typically do not tie them together. When we do, we hardwire them together and use the power from only one barge for both. The only time they are tide together is winter storage. We do not typically have a need for so may folks in one spot at a time.

noderaser:
Design question... Why are the solar panels off the side like that, instead of on the roof or another less obtrusive location?
The arrays are actually on the aft (rear) of the barge. I do not know exactly way it was designed this way but I am glad they did it this way. I just replaced the panels and with the ability of rotating and flipping the arrays allowed them to be serviceed all of them with nothing more the a 2-step, step ladder. It also allows personnel who is setting it up to aim the arrays for optimum performance. Pointing the whole barge for the best performace it not always an option. We have about a 45 degree field of view for the arrays. Then there is the snow to deal with and it presents a lower wind profile which both can get really bad up here. Worst in the winter. smile

Last edited by sparkyinak; 05/09/08 02:19 AM.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa

Link Copied to Clipboard