ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 483 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Steve, I'm not sure I follow you. Tape is a proper means of insulation, and it's certainly applied 'after' the splice is made. I don't have any problem with heat shrink tube as covering for a splice.
NEC is quite clear about soldered connections being electrically and mechanically secure *before* applying solder. This is impossible with tape or anything else applied *after* the solder connection is made.

If a simple twist suffices as the primary electrical and mechanical connection (is this in NEC anywhere? If so, then tape for insulation should be fine. But a twist is not sufficient for ground wires without a crimp ring or other listed device, so I don't see how it would be acceptable here, either.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
The twist gives mechanical connection, the solder gives electrical connection (like the crimp ring). Where is the confusion.
The insulation has nothing to do with the electrical connection so it is not part of that equation. Insulation is another step, just like taping up a split bolt.

Greg Fretwell
S
But where is twisting allowed as an approved connection?

"Twisting" is the same thing a wire nut does IMO

R
Twisting is implicitly allowed by 110.14 because what constitutes a "mechanically and electrically secure" connection isn't explicitly defined and twisting is not specifically prohibited.

So any soldered splice that is mechanically and electrically secure before soldering is approved and twisting is just one means to that end.

But a twist is not sufficient for ground wires without a crimp ring or other listed device, so I don't see how it would be acceptable here, either.

But it is sufficient

250.8 Connection of Grounding and Bonding Equipment.
Grounding conductors and bonding jumpers shall be
connected by exothermic welding, listed pressure connectors,
listed clamps, or other listed means. Connection devices
or fittings that depend .........SOLELY ON SOLDER........ shall not be used.

Twisted together and soldered is different than relying solely on solder.

S
There are a lot of things not specifically prohibited by NEC that aren't legal. NEC is always very clear about requiring LISTED connectors, clamps and other devices. Twisting may be common, but unless we expand 110.14 as carte blanche to use any method we feel like including unlisted knock-off products and home brew bolts, etc, it's not authorized.

I have yet to see anything in NEC authorizing twisting + solder beyond 90.2.(C). Not that 90.2.(C) isn't plenty for most jurisdictions, but it's not the same as actual code allowance.

Not to mention there are other factors involved- the difficulty of reversing such a splice, for instance. Might not be an issue if you've got 3' of slack in a panel as you can just cut it off, but what if every connection in a 2x4 outlet box was made up in this fashion?

R
Steve,
I have yet to see anything in NEC authorizing twisting + solder beyond 90.2.(C). Not that 90.2.(C) isn't plenty for most jurisdictions, but it's not the same as actual code allowance.

110.14(B)specifically permits a soldered connection.
(B) Splices. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a fusible metal or alloy. Soldered splices shall first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder and then be soldered. All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an insulating device identified for the purpose.

Don(resqcapt19)
G
"Twisted and taped" does seem pretty secure, electrically, if done well. That is not how I would do things but I removed dozens of splices made that way when I ripped out all the previous owner's work in this house and it was at least 20 years old. (dating from a 1978 remodel as best I can tell) I didn't find any traces of heating, even on the 1440w bathroom heaters.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Steve, I think you've got it backwards.

Splicing, by twisting and solder, is the standard by which all else is judged. That is, other connectors are listed as a substitute for this, the original accepted method.

All else - wire nuts, split bolts, PGC's, NSI's, crimps, whatever ... came later.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard