ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 250 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
H
Hello all,

I know I have seen this question come up from time to time.

I came up against a General Electric low voltage light switching system with several defective relays. Are there parts still available? The relays were red and were in two rows on either side of the panel. I didn't have time to poke around much, are they AC or DC? Voltage? What do you guys do, hunt down the replacements or replace with an appropriate ice cube or such? Are there switches and cover plates available from anybody?

Thanks

E
Here's a link to a comparable product line that might help:

http://www.touchplate.com/cutsheets/cps8-48_manual.pdf

Also, if you search "touch plate" on this forum, you'll find a few threads about low voltage switching over the past year or so.

I'm pretty sure that the Touch Plate system is compatible with GE's version for the most part. These systems operate on 24-30 volts DC to keep the relays quiet.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
T
twh Offline
If they look like this:
http://www.dale-electric.com/detail?itemnumber=RR9
I get them from the local GE dealer. They are available in AC and I've seen DC.

S
Those sound like standard GE RR7 and RR9 relays. They are still available, and used in new lighting control systems. (Although, these days it's typically a computer that turns them on and off.)

A
Just a historical note which might be of interest: I was browsing through a 1949 issue of Electrical World, and saw new-product announcements for manual and motor-driven selector switches for the GE system. I didn't realize the product line was that old.

Originally Posted by EV607797

I'm pretty sure that the Touch Plate system is compatible with GE's version for the most part. These systems operate on 24-30 volts DC to keep the relays quiet.

I don't believe that the systems are compatible.

The touch plate requires a transverter that operates at 28-30 Volts DC. It's a mechanically held ratcheting design, (push the same contact for on/off) that uses a 2 wire control.

GE's design is a 24-29 Volt AC,30-38 Volt DC mechanically held 3 wire control with both "on" and "off" coils (requiring separate on/off contacts)

E
I'm sure that you are correct. It's been over 25 years since I worked with those much. My boss was the crafty one who managed to find ways for us to service these systems. He was much smarter than I was at that time.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
J
Although the relays are available, be aware that there two types, a three wire and a two wire. The two wire units are not available, if you have that type you use an "ice cube" relay and a standard switch.

Also know that the switches are not available in the their original form, P & S does make a replacement but does not look the same.

Joe Ogle

Link Copied to Clipboard