ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
I agree with you. I've never been anywhere where a full myriad of permits/inspections were not required. I can't imagine ANY trade not being tightly regulated, especially in these rough economic times where so many people are cutting corners.

Hey, I just heard that there's some sparky in Hawaii who is building houses now using 1 X 4's for floor joists! laugh

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
LOL Mike!

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
M
Originally Posted by EV607797

Hey, I just heard that there's some sparky in Hawaii who is building houses now using 1 X 4's for floor joists! laugh

And the best part is I am able to undercut all the other carpenters cause I called em all up and found out what they charge and just charge 50% less an hour than the lowest guy so I get all the work.

S
It's possible if he walks lightly. crazy

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
M
Originally Posted by sparkyinak
It's possible if he walks lightly. crazy

Nope, not possible. The stairs will collapse before you reach the second floor. smile

T
Other than rescue operations at a super premium rate there is nothing to be done about generals clipping into our craft.

It is a sign of how foul the market is that they even try.

Any such player is showing that he has poor pricing power and is trying to make it by using no-talent labor.

Such operators are on the track to failure.

At some point their ignorance will blow up on them. It's just a matter of time.

What ever you do, don't give them training wheels.

BTW, you might think about becoming a 'multi-craft' electrician. It's a good bet that you could run small home improvement projects. Just make sure that you use quality subs to cover anything you're not competitive with.

Tesla
N
There are still a lot of places in this country that do not have a state level electrical inspection program. Those places may only have a city or county level program. The city programs cannot inspect if the work is not in thier jurisdiction.
I personally know of several counties and small towns that have no inspection programs. They consider those type of programs unnecessary interference with private property ownership.
In effect the insuance company is the AHJ but can only decline coverage for the property. Then too often another will give coverage maybe at a higher rate.

ed
F
Originally Posted by Zapped
No inspections on residential? ABSURD! This is totally alien to me, as we have trench, rough in, and final at the very least.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a municipality that doesent require permits/inspections on electrical work. CRAZY!

Wrap your head around about 95% of Maine. Only the bigger cities have permits or inspections.

Thats how we do it up in the woods!
M
We have a lot of those too . Mostly doing kitchens, bathrooms, and additions. All of them do not pull permits and all of them advertise themselves as "licensed and insured" which does not mean anything if no permit is pulled.

Originally Posted by macmikeman
What we should all start doing is building 2 story additons onto houses. Use 1"x3" for the posts to hold everything up. Substitute 1"x1" for the studs, only run em thru the table saw first and make 2 out of each of that so the cost of materials goes way down. Floorjoist needs to be a little stronger so we'll use 1" x 4" for those. 3/8" plywood for the floor decking. Nails set at 16" intervals, use them gal 1-1/4" finish nails they are cheaper. Doors only need one hinge in the middle of the frame, why use 3? . Did I forget the stairs? Nail several orange crates together in a stair riser pattern. Cover it all with more of that 3/8" ply material so you can't tell from looking at it. Proudly tell the homeowner "who needs to call one of them expensive carpenters. Any fool can do this stuff".

LOL, Mike,

That has to be the funniest thing I've read in a while grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard