ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#177276 04/27/08 10:42 PM
S
saras Offline OP
does anyone know a good site where I can look at different wires types and their uses? My pre-apprentiship course 6 mos ago is failing me.....

saras #177279 04/27/08 10:57 PM
S
Table D1 in the CEC

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Sixer #177284 04/28/08 12:07 AM
Is this any help?

Applications info is available if you download the cut sheets

http://www.southwire.com/processChannel.do?channelId=7fba1dc51235df00VgnVCM1000004c026564RCRD

G
If you have your NEC handbook you can read the notes for each wiring method in chapter 3. That may be on the technical side but it is what you will need to know eventually. For the purposes of this kind of study you could even use an old handbook. This kind of stuff is fairly stable although they do add new rules now and then.

Greg Fretwell
B
Table 310.13 and 400.4 are helpfull.

Otherwise, spend some time at the big box stores and check out the different selections of wiring methods and materials. This is a good way to attach the name of a product to what it looks like.

When I instructed a first year apprenticeship class, I would make arrangements to meet at a local supply house that allowed me to tour the stock room. The students always remarked how helpful that lesson was.

I also believe the American Electrician's Handbook provides good detail and pictures of all sorts of wiring methods and materials.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
S
Since saras is from Vancouver Island, maybe this post should be moved to the Canadian section to avoid confusion. In Canada our wire is designated by the CSA type. Also, as well as Table D1, I should have added Table 11 of the CEC to my previous post.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Sixer #177353 04/29/08 10:36 PM
C
Hi Saras,

Since you are on Vancouver Island,(as pretty much everywhere)(I'm not sure whee you are) there are some different code requirements for each municipal district because of the different salt air stuff going on around the West Coast of BC. They vary wildely, as I found out about 30 years ago.

I'd suggest, as a start with the CEC and then get the municipality to supply you with their own local changes to the codes. Some of the ones I found one time would not let AL anywhere near the atmosphere. - i.e. corrosion.

Your only solution is to check the CEC and their amendmnts for the municipality you are in.

M
Check
There has been growing consistency from jurisdiction to jurisdiction in BC over the last 30 years. As far as cables go there is a big difference from Vancouver to the rest of BC in air return plenums. Vancouver requires FT-6 flame ratings for cbles in plenums. I think the rest of BC goes with the NBC as ammended for BC. or FT-4. I don't know where aluminum wire is prohibited and I'd be surprised to learn that BC Hydro does not use it for it's distribution. I know there are a lot of people that just use copper and some of that is due to a mis understanding of the issues surrounding the aluminum wiring for branch circuits from the 80's.

Link Copied to Clipboard