ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 151 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#17734 12/06/02 11:58 PM
H
Prof,

I knew that a velocity increase was in order. The first thing I did, before connecting the machinery was to check the specs on the wheels. They read "Max 4200 r.p.m.". I took that to be fine at 118% of idle speed.

I am assuming that equipment can be run to the rating displayed and that additional safety factors are built in above that by the manufacturer. What does OSHA say regarding maximum speeds versus posted ratings - should additional safety factors be built in?

#17735 12/07/02 02:15 PM
O
Hutch,

I don’t know exactly what you mean by 118% of idle speed however what OSHA says is that the wheel can not be run at a velocity (rpm) which exceeds the marked maximum rpm on the wheel, No need to calculate anything just read the maximum wheel speed and be sure the spindle speed does not exceed that (rpm higher than the wheel rpm) don’t spin it faster than that. I have seen too many accidents and fatalities which resulted from wheels exploding due to excessive speeds.

You can see all the entire OSHA regulations also called “Standards” at the OSHA website: www.osha.gov

more specifically the regulation on abrasive wheels is codified 1910.215 and is located at :
http://osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp...S&p_id=9839&p_text_version=FALSE

The specific reference state on this issue states

“1910.215(d)(1)

Inspection. Immediately before mounting, all wheels shall be closely inspected and sounded by the user (ring test) to make sure they have not been damaged in transit, storage, or otherwise. The spindle speed of the machine shall be checked before mounting of the wheel to be certain that it does not exceed the maximum operating speed marked on the wheel. Wheels should be tapped gently with a light nonmetallic implement, such as the handle of a screwdriver for light wheels, or a wooden mallet for heavier wheels. If they sound cracked (dead), they shall not be used. This is known as the "Ring Test".”

Additionally many accidents result from missing guards particularly the tongue guard which must be adjusted to within 1//4 inch of the periphery of the wheel (obviously needs to be readjusted as the wheel wears).

The other most frequently found problem is the work rest which must be adjusted to within 1/8 inch of the periphery of the wheel.

BTW the “ring test” is used to detect unseen cracks in the wheel which would also cause the wheel to explode upon starting. When tapped with a wooden dowel the wheel should have a distinctive ring or resonance not a dull thud . A dull thud would indicate a crack or cracks in the wheel and the wheel should not be used. Also never stand directly in front of the wheel / grinder when turning it on the first time after mounting. This is the most likely time that the wheel will explode if anything is wrong (cracks in wheel, incorrect mounting etc) .

And that’s the gospel according to OSHA, hope this helps. OSHA Professor – Grizzy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard