ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#171 12/17/00 09:05 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Is there a resource, web-site, book etc, known that explains the rationale behind codes in the NEC ? It would help to be able to understand conceptually as well as technically.
http://www.realread.com/nfpa/pageview/browse.cgi?site=96820374&book=NEC2005

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 03-17-2005).]

#172 12/17/00 09:37 PM
Sparky,

The NEC Handbook will sometimes explain some things but it is not considered an official interpretation. Sometimes the Analysis of the Changes books will have some information also. You can also read the ROP's (report on proposals) for information on why some changes are approved and some are not. Other than that I have no advice except doing what you are doing (asking questions) [Linked Image]

Bill
#173 12/17/00 09:37 PM
G
I am not really certain what you are looking for or if the Code Handbookwould be of any help. Of course Mike Holt, James Stallcup and others have some good books. A good basic approach to understanding the rationale is to realize that in order for an electrical system to be safe it needs to keep potentials to ground at a minimum to prevent shock and provide current paths large enough and mechanically secure enough for the maximum available fault current to cause activation of a protective device without catastrophic damage any where in the system. Good grounding provides some of both those needs. When you are curious about a requirement, ask yourself: If this is not accomplished and a ground or phase to phase short occurred that involved this equipment, what would happen. Like Mr. Keis said in another forum, "when electricity becomes visible we are in deep trouble." Speaking of visible electricity: do you know how the requirements for 110-26(a)(1), Depth of working space and 110-26(c), Access and entrance to working space is related to fault currents?

#174 12/17/00 10:14 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Hmmmmm, ROP's? sounds like good reading...is this available to the average sparky? , Yes once in a while during a code update we are given books that elaborate on a code's changes, but just for that cycle. I have been collecting old code books for a while in an effort to understand how any given code would have "evolved", ( i have a prized '56), but some codes are very hard to track in that manner. As for 110-26, this is hard to own up to on line, as an apprentice, we came on an industrial job one morning to find all the lights were out, so the boss had me run up to the electrical room where a 3ph transformer fed by 480, 70 a breaker had tripped, which i found via flashlight only. Thinking only of getting on with the day's doings, and not why it might have tripped, i naively reset it. There was an audible , as well as very visual blast , the immediate result reading like 110-26-c ex#1, where my only concern was "continuous and unobstructed way of exit travel" I was lucky enough to simply end up with a temporary eye problem, and some bona-fide respect for what i was messing with.......to this day i will activate circuits only at arm's length, and never directly face such....

#175 12/17/00 10:40 PM
Sparky,

Look on this page: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/NEC_Intro-NF.htm
This is my NEC related page - you can also get there through the studious guy on the left of this page. Let me know how you make out. [Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
#176 12/18/00 07:11 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
Wow, the motherload! recommendations, substantiation,even the situations leading to the request ( I just had to view 110-26 ,I quess I'm not the only sparky to have a bad day in an electrical room ),panel actions...drafts available for view/comment....even the 1881 one page code! This'll keep me busy for a while....Thank you Bill

#177 12/18/00 08:47 AM
Sparky,

That's what we're here for!!. [Linked Image]
You should check those pages periodically as things are added. I've got a mountain of things to add when I can get some time.

Enjoy!

Bill
#178 12/18/00 03:41 PM
Broom Pusher and
Good job, Bill!!
That was a great thread to read.

As to "Sparky", I feel bad for you having that light show in your face. Glad that you only had temporary traumas, as I have seen some people with permanent damage!

Be safe!

Happy Holidays to all!!

Scott.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#179 12/18/00 04:54 PM
T
Sparky The report on propasels is free from
NFPA just call and order it you will find it a fascinating read.

Link Copied to Clipboard