ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
I wired a kitchen only for $900. I think that included the permit... My prices are not what I here to post about. smile

I just wanted to share my pain.

When he says 'provide access' that means, be there to move or open things.

I think #8 is a plate, that when screwed on it holds the device on aswell. So its not using the normal plate screw holes provided on the device.

#10 means, bring me, my tools and a ladder so we can open every box in the house.

... I could go on and on, I gotta stop. I think I lost a few hairs on my balding head from this guy.

.. I gotta add though... #17, add 1 hr. inspection time.. at only a mere $139 an hr. Theres about $350 in permit costs already, this new permit will be an estimated additional $350.

Detroit is strict to work in, which is great. I have absolutely no problem with that. but this right here, is more like rape. Can't a guy just wire a simple kitchen nowadays? I'm truly amazed.

And... this inspection was done last Thursday, when asked thursday about getting the violations, I was told the vialoations will be avalible and mailed out next Wensday, I got them today. So 1 week total. Hope nobody is in a hurry to get this place done... just take a week off while we wait for this guy. Do I sound bitter?

[Linked Image from i146.photobucket.com]

Last edited by Trick440; 04/17/08 10:39 PM.

Shake n Bake
F
Hey 440!!

you can heard the jaws around here make a " thunk " sound echoed i was reading i say **** !!! sound like that inspector is way out of the line of what you are working in the area as you say you are only deal only in kitchen area then the inspector should contrated in the kitchen area and deal the rest of other stuff later but i was looking at line item #17.112 fan/ luminiares ??? jezz how he can count all of that what he did walk the whole place ??

i can see how you get upset but this i feel it way out of the line of the inspector doing and this is more than just a [ beep ] kitchen area.

Merci,Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

T
twh Offline
He really hates you. What happened?

T
Originally Posted by twh
He really hates you. What happened?

lol... apperently so.

That 112 fixtures? Again no idea its a 2900sq. ft. condo.

Shake n Bake
B
This is one of the reasons people don't get permits.

What's more, an unlicensed hack could have done that job with no permit/inspection and would have got off scot free with his cash.

Cat Servant
I'd like to see some Michiganians post about those MEC citations. It appears the Michigan rules differ considerably from the NEC. Is that correct?

E
Did you get tagged by a speed-trap camera on the way back to the shop too? I mean it's all about safety, not a profit for the city, right? right?

I know EC's around here who've been fined thousands, and had their licenses jeprodised, for no permit, because the permit was displayed in the rear window instead of the front.

More and more the government is trying to strip off their little portion of everyone's savings, to compensate for poor beaurocracy and corrupt accounting, all under the guise of "public safety" and I don't know of any way to combat it, unless a politician runs on a ticket of 'stop raping the public's wallets'

seriously though, do you have a history with this guy, and did you do anything to piss him off?

edit: luminaires and fans specifically outside the area remodeled? Shouldn't things not included in the scope of the permit...not be included in the inspection? Is the inspector going to insist on inspecting the owner's underwear drawer for possibly unbonded GFIs?

Last edited by Elviscat; 04/18/08 05:36 AM.
T
You would think from this I would have a history with this guy. Well you are right, this is my second inspection from him, here is the first...
https://www.electrical-contractor.n...bb/showflat/Number/175027/page/0/fpart/1

Shake n Bake
L
LK Offline
Originally Posted by Elviscat
Did you get tagged by a speed-trap camera on the way back to the shop too? I mean it's all about safety, not a profit for the city, right? right?

I know EC's around here who've been fined thousands, and had their licenses jeprodised, for no permit, because the permit was displayed in the rear window instead of the front.

More and more the government is trying to strip off their little portion of everyone's savings, to compensate for poor beaurocracy and corrupt accounting, all under the guise of "public safety" and I don't know of any way to combat it, unless a politician runs on a ticket of 'stop raping the public's wallets'

edit: luminaires and fans specifically outside the area remodeled?

"I mean it's all about safety, not a profit for the city, right? right?"

I have no idea where you are located, but most cities loose money on the inspection process, our state law, and many others do not allow any city to profit from permits, if they do make any money it must be returned, the city making money on inspections is an old way of thinking, just not the the way it is.

"I know EC's around here who've been fined thousands, and had their licenses jeprodised, for no permit, because the permit was displayed in the rear window instead of the"

Most likely not for the permit location, but because they never applied for a permit, and that is their sad excuse, the city knows if you have a permit issued, or you don't.

"More and more the government is trying to strip off their little portion of everyone's savings,"

Again the permit process is not a goverment generating moneym the fees are used to conduct the inspections, not to make a profit.

"luminaires and fans specifically outside the area remodeled?"

Now this is something that would get the inspector tuned up, finding ceiling fans newly installed and not on the permit application, no wonder your having problems, I can see by reading the inspectors report, that the owner most likely did not want to spend what was needed to have the job done right, you may of been better off, telling the owner to find another EC fron the start. All the items listed, I would of noted, but again the non permited work most likely trigered his tough response.

Please don't shoot me, I just wanted you to know, it was more likely the owners refusing to do things right, then your work that caused the long report.

Last edited by LK; 04/18/08 09:58 AM.
From a post you made March 28, 2008
Originally Posted by Trick440
I was just asked by a rental preoperty owner what it means if his violation sheet says 'Update according to MRC 2003 Chapters 33-42'
I tried looking it up on the internet, nuttin.
So I told him to just make sure he has GFCI and smoke detectors where needed.
I was thinking maybe I need to buy a copy of that book.

Apparently you should have bought the book.
If you knew he had hack work already done by somebody else, why did you take the job?

It appears that most of the items on the correction list are related to the kitchen. The inspector is only doing his job.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard