ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
Tiger, you've probably hit upon the reason this thread disturbs me.

For example, in my work .... (and those who've seen pictures of it will agree that I'm far from perfect!) ... a recent job was gone over by several inspecting organizations, and a 4-page "punch list" developed.

My part of that list came down to maybe 6 or seven items; most are pictured here in the thread "Pay attention to detail!" In similar jobs, where the inspection was limited to code issues, it's rare for there to be more than one area to be addressed. A typical example was one house where I had not switched the attic light from the access port - simply because the location of that portal had not yet been decided.

That this job received such a lengthly write-up is most unusual. My It just doesn't seem right. Was the inspector getting carried away with his own importance? Was the contractor a marginal hack? Was the homeowner doing other stuff - as well as having his kitchen remodeled? I really can't say.

If I could, I'd get pictures of each item on this list .... and post them for comment. For example, I'd like to see a pic of the 'inaccessible' junction boxes under the counter.

T
I see I need to have a talk with the inspector.

My very first inspection with this guy, (that I have linked to in this tread). When I wasn't there, violation. Then after being there for the next inspection, and telling him yes I bonded the the MC at that metal box 3' away. I passed.

I'm not use to being there for inspections. I see that is a requirement. I do think, being that I have passed alot of requirements to be where I'm at in the trade that I would atleast be trusted to not have every single one of my boxes need to be opened up. I thought that is what a rough was for.

I appreciate the replies. I think I will get pictures when I get a chance to get down there. I have not been at thsi job in awhile so we will see.

Shake n Bake
G
If it was me I would see how he treated other contractors, and if it is a lot different than he treats you,I would consider taking him and the governing body to court.
He is not allowed to treat you any different than anybody else.These type of inspections happen when you are working outside of your area and the inspector is protecting his local guys from outsiders. I have ran into this before.

G
I was down at the building department and off my engineer again yesterday in my continuing 3 month odyssy to get a building permit. The consensus of opinion is these people are doing their best to look busy and protect their jobs so they are going everything with a very sharp pencil and generating as much paper as possible. My engineer says it is standard now to get your plans rejected several times for the most minor little omission. Three of the things they cited on my permit rejection for being missing were actually there.
Bear in mind, reinspections are revenue for a cash strapped building department.
I am really starting to lose respect for a process I used be a part of.

Greg Fretwell
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard