ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#176840 04/14/08 12:37 PM
A
aldav53 Offline OP
Extending 3 wire a dryer circuit, doesn't seem any reason to use a 10-4 NM since I am tieing into a 10-3. Would there be any advange as far as hooking up the newer 4 wire dryers which the customer will probably use? I would have to tie the nuetral and ground together, or the new dryer would have to have a 3 wire cord put on it. Guess that would work too.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
G
You would never need any more than 10/3 with ground on a dryer. The neutral does need to be insulated when using RX so you cant use 10/2 but there is an exception allowing SE if this is coming from the panel with the service disconnect.

Greg Fretwell
10-4 NM doesn't exist. Is it 10-3 with a ground?

J
I believe the OP has the following setup: 10/2 w/ ground to panel. OP would like to know weather to use 10/2 or 10/3 (w/ ground) for the extension.

My advice: replace the exisiting circuit with new 10/3 w/ground to the panel.

Cat Servant
This is one of those situations where you have to choose: will it be fish or fowl? Either is better than a mash of both together!

You want to keep the existing dryer unchanged, and extend the existing circuit ... stick with the same number of conductors.

You want to be compliant with the newer codes, make a new run with the additional wire, get a new cord for the dryer, and DISCONNECT THE BONDing strap inside the dryer.

Just using 'new' wire for the extension, and having a new receptacle that LOOKS like it has a neutral, but does not, is the worst possible way to do things.

K
KJ Offline
when all else fails, hire and pay small price to do right once.

A
aldav53 Offline OP
Yes I meant 10-3 with ground, actually I checked this and it has a black, white, and red, no ground wire, 10-3 NM with no ground, I've never seen this wire before.
Anyway I'll just run a 10-3 with ground so at least the 3rd wire will be white and insulated. The old dryer is tied into the 3 terminals but not to ground, and there is no jumper, (being an older one) so not sure if they grounded the white nuetral inside the dryer or not.

The Golden Rule - "The man with the gold makes the rule"
J
Is the old wire armoured? If it is the armour is the ground, albeit a questionable one.

N
If you extend a existing 3 wire dryer/range receptacle,wouldnt you need to bring it up to compliance w/ current code(s) since 250.140 applies to EXISTING installations and if one extends it IMO it would no longer be existing....

Cat Servant
A good point, Norcal. One could very easily make that argument, and that is certainly the preferred solution.

I guess I've become a bit jaded, having seen far too many DIY/hack jobs. I guess that's why I even described a way to extend the old circuit .... I had the feeling that was something we were not being told, and I didn't want a half-baked job being done.

Just like simply replacing a two-prong receptacle with a three-prong version is not, in any way, an "upgrade," I didn't want there to be a dryer with a 4-prong receptacle on a circuit that didn't have all four wires going all the way back to the panel. Or, any of the other nightmares where things were not done completely.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard