ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 276 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#176658 04/08/08 09:07 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
Didn't we look at this before?

http://www.power-save1200.com/1200?gclid=CMKs8NvjzJICFQGCxwod33IFbg

A local resident had on installed and said his monthly electric bill is about $10.00 lower.

I am trying to convince him that it can't be true.

Thanks for the input.

John

Redsy #176661 04/08/08 09:17 PM
B
IF it is actually lower (and thst is a ginormous IF) it is likely to be because he is conscious of his usage and is being more conservative.

Have him dig out his bills for several years and compare the KWH of comparable periods.

Design-Build isn't supposed to mean design *as* you build.
Redsy #176662 04/08/08 09:25 PM
R
Redsy Offline OP
Thanks Bryan.

That is exactly what I told him. 3 months of data at this time of year is useless. A comparison to last year at the same time of year is an absolute minimum.

Redsy #176666 04/08/08 09:53 PM
G
It is power factor correction and it might save a little money if you have the right kind of loads but 10% is a lot.

Greg Fretwell
T
twh Offline
I have a wattmeter on my house. My understanding is that I wouldn't save anything with power factor correction.

S
My guess is power correction too possiblty caps. Residences are "poor" when it comes to power factor. Friges, freezers, air conditioners, any motor loads like hand held appliances have "poor" PF. I would imagine that is one of the reasons why residential kW rates are higher. Large commercial users pay for the PF issues.

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
A
Back in the 1950s there seemed to be a lot of interest in secondary capacitors for residential services. For example, Sangamo offered the "Secovar" line of 240V 2KVAR caps for installation at the meter location. They came in three versions: a separate box which connected to the meter box by a nipple, a box with male and female meter jaws on opposite sides which was inserted between the meter and the meter box, and a meter box with the caps inside.

Several companies also produced pole-mounted secondary caps.

Albert #176676 04/09/08 02:08 AM
G
The way I understood the article when the "green plug" was being tested is a lightly loaded motor is very inefficient but a properly sized motor in something like a fridge or HVAC runs at very close to unity and these things are a waste of money for that. You notice when they do demonstrate these things they like to use a fractional HP motor with no load at all.

Greg Fretwell
S
Originally Posted by sparkyinak
My guess is power correction too possiblty caps. Residences are "poor" when it comes to power factor. Friges, freezers, air conditioners, any motor loads like hand held appliances have "poor" PF. I would imagine that is one of the reasons why residential kW rates are higher. Large commercial users pay for the PF issues.
Except that these are only a very small %, and mostly intermittant- you're not going to save any money pf correcting a garbage disposal or garage door opener for the few seconds a day they're running. The vast majority is simply resistive or of a nonlinear sort that wouldn't be helped by a pf cap- lighting, water heater, stove, clothes dryer, electronics, etc. The only load that would really be helped by this is the AC compressor. And with natural seasonal variations, you're never going to be able to prove anything without a GIANT study.

Residential pf is typically .92-.96. Here's a small poco study actually looking at the effectiveness of residential power factor correction caps:
http://www.kvarhydrosave.com/sites/kvar/gfx/Residential_Power_Factor_Porrection_Project_2005.pdf

Redsy: did you point out to your friend that electic bills are all an estimate based on past useage, and that his "$10 savings" is actually reflecting the month's usage BEFORE he got the pf correction, and more likely just because the weather is more temperate right now than any of the snake oil he wasted his money on?

S
ARGH, bitten by the short edit window again! I wanted to point out that residential meters are measuring kW not kVA. If the pf was .2 and 5kVAh/kWh or 1.0 with 1kVAh/kWh, it wouldn't matter, you'd pay the same per kWh regardless.
Originally Posted by SteveFehr
Residential pf is typically .92-.96. Here's a small poco study actually looking at the effectiveness of residential power factor correction caps:
http://www.kvarhydrosave.com/sites/kvar/gfx/Residential_Power_Factor_Porrection_Project_2005.pdf
Looking more closely, this was a very poor study. They only ran it for 2 months, and didn't have a control. Ironically, it looks like the pf correction caps actually made the pf worse, because while it would correct a poor pf while the motors were running, it would overcorrect and increase current while the motors were not.

Their conclusion was that the poco may recoup savings on the pf cap due to reduced overall transformer, generator and line current loading, but an individual HO would not see any cost savings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard