ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
brianl703 #177028 04/19/08 12:28 PM
U
I prefer not to install the bare minimum. Cat5e makes sense for me - that's what I use.

Last edited by u2slow; 04/19/08 12:30 PM.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

u2slow #177035 04/19/08 11:23 PM
E
CAT5 is not necessarily wrong, it's just overkill. Same as running 6/3 Romex to a 20 amp receptacle. Just gross overkill that will likely never be necessary.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
gfretwell #177037 04/20/08 01:56 AM
B
"I really believe we will be bypassing the networks and cable content providers and getting our content directly from the internet soon."

Problem is, there are still large parts of this country where there isn't anything but dialup. There is no DSL and there is no cable. There are still state (not my state but another state) and local government offices that dial in. Whenever they have dialin problems I look up the area code and prefix to see who it is and more often than not it's some telco I've never even heard of before. Probably same small hole-in-the wall operation still paying off RUS loans.

EV607797 #177038 04/20/08 01:57 AM
B
Originally Posted by EV607797
CAT5 is not necessarily wrong, it's just overkill. Same as running 6/3 Romex to a 20 amp receptacle.

Not quite...have you ever tried to connect 6-gauge wire to a 20 amp receptacle?

CAT5 connects to RJ11 jacks just fine. (Well, after you untwist it) wink

brianl703 #177039 04/20/08 01:59 AM
B
"I really believe we will be bypassing the networks and cable content providers and getting our content directly from the internet soon."

Incidentally have you seen Fancast?

http://www.fancast.com

gfretwell #177178 04/24/08 12:14 PM
S
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I really believe we will be bypassing the networks and cable content providers and getting our content directly from the internet soon. When people get used to their DVR and understand these can be directly connected to an online program guide and online content the whole idea of TV schedules will go away. My ReplayTV (1999 technology) has the capability of sending and receiving content over the internet (one reason Sonic Blue was sued out of existence). All it will take is a content provider who wants to tap that market.
Some day soon there won't be "channels" or "time slots", only a catalog of shows.
We're already there. you can already download every popular show directly to your computer, and every movie within days of its theatrical release- sometimes sooner. Last time I had a DVR recording error and missed a show, I went the next day downloaded the HDTV version off the web. Which kinda ticks me off since I have a giant HDTV but I don't have an HD version of that channel- so quality was better on the download than if I'd have watched it live. I know quite a few people (mostly college students) who don't even own a TV, yet watch every show, thanks to the internet.

Some networks are ahead of the curve- Cartoon Network has all their adult swim shows online, free for download with a single 30-second commercial for 15 minute shows and 2 for 30 minute. Even better still, the shows are up online 2 days before they air, and you can go back through and watch past episodes, too. Quality is excellent, too. I'd love if I could watch all my shows this way- it's like a DVR, but better smile

NASA TV streams shuttle launches, and quite a few other networks have their streams availible online, as well. Quality is lower than broadcast, but it's at least all realitime.

SteveFehr #177180 04/24/08 12:49 PM
B
Originally Posted by SteveFehr
and every movie within days of its theatrical release- sometimes sooner.

That fun ends when you get a "Notice of Copyright Infringement".

brianl703 #177202 04/25/08 06:53 AM
S
Well, that's only because the licensing hasn't caught up yet with the technology, and the studios aren't taking advantage of the market. My point was more that the distribution technology is already here, and already works, there's really no waiting or R&D required, it's ready for use. The fight between blu-ray and HD-DVD wasn't for dominance of the market, it was survival, period. Because if neither emerged as a clear victor, both would be surpassed by internet distribution. Their time is still limited, but blu-ray will at least be around the next few christmases.

SteveFehr #177238 04/26/08 01:52 AM
B
The distribution technology relies on someone uploading as they simultaneously download.

This works because the incentive to upload is that you'll get a file for free.

Why on earth would I (or anyone else) use (actually I would say "waste") my upstream bandwidth so someone can *charge* me to download a file? Especially when it is almost certainly going to have limitations on how it can be used (perhaps it will expire, it can only be played on the machine where it was downloaded, etc.)

brianl703 #177299 04/28/08 12:15 PM
S
I'm not talking necessarily P2P filesharing here, just the distribution in general. Cartoon Network is streaming their shows from a central server at good speeds. NASA TV does the same. As do numerous other TV stations. There's no technical reason every network on cable can't put their full real-time feed on the internet with commercials, and reap the same profit they would as if it was broadcast over the air or through a cable or satellite TV provider.

As for potentially using P2P technologies for distribution; the incentive is faster downloads- a lot of game companies use this for large game demos; the download is much faster from bittorrent than it is from a traditional server, especially considering how overloaded those servers are the night of a big release. If you're downloading a 10GB blu-ray disk from Sony to your PS3 to watch on the day of the release, it's going to go a lot faster if you can download from 3 neighbors in your neighborhood than for each of you to download it individually from Sony's server, just because the pipe is faster between you.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard