ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
The 2nd unit is upstairs above the garages.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

N
Update, they are insulating, hanging drywall, and lathing for stucco,and the whole mess is still there even the 10/2 NM dryer feed.

Originally Posted by NORCAL
Update, they are insulating, hanging drywall, and lathing for stucco,and the whole mess is still there even the 10/2 NM dryer feed.

How much $$$ did they pay that inspector, or was he just oblivious to everything?

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Cat Servant
Ian, I'd not be too hasty in judging the inspector.

It's a fact of life that, when a builder puts up a development, inspectors are not about to closely examine every detail of every house. It's far more likely that they will carry out 'spot checks' on a few houses, then sign off on all of them.

Whether this is right or wrong is not really the issue. There is an entire doctrine of quality control ("Statistical Quality Management") based on this principle. Whether such a program was actually administered, with all the necessary procedures, is unknown.

What IS known, according to the OP, is that this particular house was clearly made by a different crew than the other homes in the tract. One bad employee can cause all manner of troubles.

Naturally - regardless of the inspection being passed - there are numerous folks who should have said "there's something wrong here!"

Originally Posted by renosteinke
Ian, I'd not be too hasty in judging the inspector.

It's a fact of life that, when a builder puts up a development, inspectors are not about to closely examine every detail of every house. It's far more likely that they will carry out 'spot checks' on a few houses, then sign off on all of them.

Whether this is right or wrong is not really the issue. There is an entire doctrine of quality control ("Statistical Quality Management") based on this principle. Whether such a program was actually administered, with all the necessary procedures, is unknown.

What IS known, according to the OP, is that this particular house was clearly made by a different crew than the other homes in the tract. One bad employee can cause all manner of troubles.

Naturally - regardless of the inspection being passed - there are numerous folks who should have said "there's something wrong here!"

Ah I got it now. Thanks for the info John, I'll remember it for the next one.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
S
The framing inspectors here don't even want to look at a house until the roof, siding, doors, windows and insulation are on. I asked him once how he checked to make sure we used the right hurricane straps, sheathing and nailing schedule... or worse, what would happen if he found a structural violation that required a wall section to be rebuilt, but he was completely unconcerned.

If I was a dishonest contractor, I could really exploit that.

B
God I hate residential work.

N
This unit has been completed and rented out since this was posted, even a "twin" dulpex has been completed (but wired by a EC).With inspections such as these, there is little value to them ,IMO.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard