ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
KJay, your right!
Electrician "A" gets the job... Does it three (3) times.
Electrician "B" Looses the job.
So Neither make any money.
The customer gets mad. But learns nothing. Goes with the low bid the next time too.

Oh well, sit back and chuckle. Buyer beware!!!

Aside from that. How are things down there?
Better I hope.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

I-joists + manufactured trusses + sloppy wiring = Fiery death trap that needs to be torched or torn down.

And I gotta meet the guy who hacked that nice rectangular hole. Introduce him to the carpentry and cabinetmaking instructors at school for a handshake, then bring him down to my shop for "punishment" by the seniors (read: cut 10 4 foot long pieces of 4" ridgid with a hacksaw, in other words, their work), then have me and the rest of the freshmen run him out of the school with the pieces of pipe he cut.

One more thing, if I ever had that much wire sticking out of a box my instructor would kill me for wasting wire. 8" of wire is enough for me, 20" is just wasting copper.

Ian A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
N
My opinion is that it's a GC or DIY job, I doubt a EC would do quite that bad,wasting that much wire and unless spec'ed otherwise they would not be using only 12/2 because that would hurt the bottom line.

Last edited by NORCAL; 04/07/08 12:10 AM.
Trumpy Offline OP
Couple more pics:
Rollie, would you care to comment on these?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Norcal mentioned that the meter can is for surface mount not flush mount.

T
The typical customer's approach seems to be: "The electrical is in the walls, you can't see it, so why pay money for it?" as well as "It works, so what?"

I've just heard soooo many stories where people just finished hanging expensive wallpaper, retiling the kitchen,... only to find out their wiring is ancient and botched up as can be and they need a full rewire... and think solid plastered brick walls, not stud walls.

As a side note... the typical approach toloose wiring at boxes in my old company seemed to be to leave anything up to 6 feet(!) hanging out of the box. And no, I did not mean inches! I don't know if they charged the customer extra copper that way or if the guys were just ruining the company by wasting all that copper. All I know is that company was ingenious in ripping off customers. Taking down 9 regular light fixtures (put up a ladder, climb up disconnect wires, take down fixture, get down again, 10 minute job each for one guy) they had 3 guys for 2 full days... we (another 2 guys) took down the remaining 3 in half an hour. Or things like on Monday: "Man, I still have a hangover from Saturday! Let's just have a BBQ on site using bricks, an old grill and clean untreated scrap wood... that was all we did that day.
Or work 1 hour, sit around at the pub 5 hours drinking beer and charge 8 1/2 hours... I sure am glad I only did a 1 month internship at that company!

Last edited by Texas_Ranger; 04/07/08 03:40 AM.
W
I don't see what the big deal is about the hacked rectangular holes. Doesn't look like they affected the structure in any way. probably why I buy tools so hacking isn't necessary. Maybe a fire code is violated though??

G
Doesn't recessing those panelboards in the wall separating the garages pretty much kill any fire ratings that they would otherwise have?
Here in the US; interior garage walls would need a 2-hour fire rating to keep a fire in the garage from spreading to the house.

Ghost307
N
Originally Posted by ghost307
Doesn't recessing those panelboards in the wall separating the garages pretty much kill any fire ratings that they would otherwise have?
Here in the US; interior garage walls would need a 2-hour fire rating to keep a fire in the garage from spreading to the house.

The wall divides the 2 garages.So perhaps someone versed on building code issues will be kind enough & chime in

Whats holding that meter can up if its not mounted on the wall? Were are cables feeding out?

Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard