ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
mj Offline OP
guys, have you ever been out on a service call and made repairs to the circuit/wiring.... but when you compleate your task, an appliance do not work ? then you try to explain the the coustomer that you are not an applinace repairman. then they say "this is an electrical appliance".after a couple of encounters as such, i make it clear that, i will repair the wiring but not the appliance. appliance repair is different from electrical wiring. how do you guys handle a situation as such?

E
Same here. I 'l ask if they would let a foot doctor do heart surgery on them. Ususally makes the point.

S
I check the branch ciruit wiring. I make sure there is proper voltage and that connections are good. After that I tell the customer there is nothing wrong with the electical and to call an appliance guy. I always tell them before hand that I will check the electrical connections and after that it is up to the appliance guy.

M
mj Offline OP
electricmanscott and spyder, some people expect electricians to fix everything that operates by electric. thank guys for your response, take care...

G
mj, i have, on occasion, offered to take the appliance in for them when they insist that i take a look at it. when they hear what i charge for this service, they usually back off, and call the appliance guy... [Linked Image].....if they still want me to take care of the problem for them, i just get on my cell phone, call an appliance guy myself, and adjust the customers bill (upwards!) accordingly....makes everybody happy....and keeps the maytag man busy..... [Linked Image]

R
About a year ago I did a small job for a friend who is a local “handyman”, who by the way won’t do any wiring. My job was to install some lights and an outlet in a bath remodel job he was doing. I was only in the house for about 2hours and simply relocated some existing circuits. The bath already had a 20amp dedicated receptacle circuit so it made things easy. Anyway later that evening the homeowner a “little old lady” called my friend and told him her kitchen microwave was not working. He had her test the receptacle by plugging in her can opener and it worked fine. She then proceeded to blame me for wrecking her microwave! The only thing I did was to pass by it, but I must have done something according to her. So anyhow knowing we would not win we split the cost of a new microwave and he and I bit the bullet. No profit on that job!! Good thing I have a full time job at a local factory to support my side work!

E
rkukl,
I hate it when something like that happens. I've got a customer that we did a 400 amp service upgrade for. Now anytime something goes wrong they call me up to tell me what's not working and how it was fine before the work. In the morning I'm going to see why the outlets in the bathrooms don't work. [Linked Image] I know it's the GFI, you know it's the GFI, but they don't. And I've showed them this before!

N
The service calls I hate are to reset the GFI. You can ask them over the phone if they tried to reset the GFI - they say yes but it does not work- but it promptly resets for you and tests good afterwards. They always argue about the service call bill "$45.00 for 3-5 min. no way"
Just think AFCIs are here.

ed
I can dig it NESparky. I sometimes think I would kill for less.

Lock, and load,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
N
And my accountant tells me that I do not bill enough

ed

Link Copied to Clipboard