ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#176253 03/27/08 02:27 PM
Cat Servant
Those in the Chats know I've been working on making a new community center. This job has sputtered along for over six months, and has involved all manner of inspections, committees, reviews, etc. Well, we're at the end stage - and boy, did I drop the ball!
The short version: I failed to review the trim details, and did not allow for (among other things) the 12" wide trim around the doors in setting my boxes. The result? Lots of major re-work.

Bad news: This is a long post.
Good news: There are lots of pics.

Bad news: Stuff I've been doing forever wasn't good enough.
Good news: I learned something.

I'll start with a light switch. Here is is, after the trim was installed:

[Linked Image]

Note that the trim is flush with the wainscotting. An attempt to camouflage this goof ALMOST worked:

[Linked Image]

The exit signs were another problem area. First, my hole before the trim went up:

[Linked Image]

Once the trim went up, you can see the problem (paint spray makes it hard to see the line):

[Linked Image]

This pic shows the solution ... a large backing plate behind the signs (forgive the poor picture quality):

[Linked Image]

Finally, I had to re-hang the bathroom lights. Rather than using the usual 4" box with mud ring, I was forced to use 1/2" "pancake" boxes and some MC to deal with the framing, etc. The fixture - as seen in this "before" pic - allowed absolutely no 'wiggle room' for an off center box:

[Linked Image]

Once again, the prints did show the fixture centered over the sink.

E
Yikes! That reminds me of myself. I never read the assembly instructions for anything (those are for lightweights). If I added up the countless hours that I've spent doing things over again, I could write a book.

I also never stop and ask for directions. My wife loves that one.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
R
I had a similar experience only it wasn't my fault but because I called the forman and lead hand on their "mistake", I got the job of fixing the mistake. ( the mistake being they moved the location of a receptacle and cable jack without approval and without checking the details of the prints.)

To make a long story short, receptacles and cable outlets do not work well when located in the space a sliding wooden door is going to occupy when said door is open, especially when something is plugged in!

A.D

T
twh Offline
I spend too much time checking architectural drawings for thickness of wall board, width of trim, height of shelves, width of horizontal slats and starting elevation, mirrors, murals, walls that don't reach the ceiling, walls that don't reach the floor (it's true), width of cabinets, etc. I still get it wrong, but I'm getting better at fixing it.

You have my sympathy.

H
swap out that ivory 3way with a white one wink

Cliff
Cat Servant
Sorry, H ... Ivory was specified.

C
I've learned the hard way to, as I'm nailing up my first switch box to the king stud at the door holler to the GC "Say, your not using big trim are you?"

I've failed to properly visualize tile backslashes with embarrassing results too.

There have been several switches on the wrong side of the door though only one of them I will claim as my own.

T
Switch on the wrong side of the door is an ancient problem... renovating our 1914 place we found the original installers placed all three bedroom / living room switches on the wrong side of the door... and come on, if you have a door in one corner of a room, how likely is it the hinges will face the room instead of the corner? They _always_ put the switch in the corner...

T
I always seem to land water heater circ pump receptacles
directly behind the heater, or obstructed by some major duct
or pipe. Without fail....

Z
I spent a few days moving boxes on a job. The "designer" (read:idiot) decided it would look nice to have 8" trim and casings around the doors. Did I mention that he did this after the job was in finish?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard