ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 34 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Homer:
One of the few 'good' things here in NJ is the arc faults are amended OUT of the UCC from day 1, and we all hope if and when '08 gets adopted, they stay out. Funny, the big boxes have them on the shelves. Funnier, a few HO's and I hate to say, a few Lic. EC's have installed AFCI's instead of GFCI's. AFCI for jacuzzis; AFCI's for litchen/bath receptacles. A few jobs require AFCI within the plans/specs

We did our 9 hours of '08 changes (CEU) in January '08, 8 months later, still under '05. One of the big loud debates was the tamper resistant receptacles. Mfg. influenced new requirement? Majority all felt that way.

As to the CEU instructors, yes it is a growing 'business' here. Last I heard there are 600 +/- licensed by NJ, and the competition is really growing. We are required to do 34 hrs every 3 year lic. cycle for EC's. As an AHJ, I have to do six (6) 1 day seminars thru Rutgers/DCA.

Lastly, we have Energy, Barrier Free, LEEDs, Fire, Amusement, Playground, Rehab, and another dozen to keep up with. As to permits, the Twp I work in averages approx. 4000 to 5000+ per year.

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
safe , and now green are both costly goals here folks.

i think they're both good goals, however we live in a capitalistic (well so far) society where the 'safe' and 'green' disparity is obvious to anyone that truly pays attention

this is where the practice/preach disconnect constantly plays into the issue

and where immoveable bueacracy doesn't really mitigate the irresistible needs of us all

~S~

Z
Out here in Cali, we have Title 24 energy compliance in full force, as well as most jurisdictions that are at least up to '05 NEC AFCI requirements, and '08 is implimented in some pockets. Almost every municipality in Orange County has their own building department with their own adoption/update schedule, and of course each inspector has their own take on any particular code that may be slightly vague.

It's not unheard of here to have 3 jobs, 3 miles apart, under 3 different versions of the NEC. Confusing? You bet...

I would imagine, with the political and social climate regarding energy consumption, that we will see many changes and revisions in device and fixture requirements in the near and distant future.

Take a quick look at Californias Title 24 if you get a chance - it may be an indication of legislation headed your way - if it hasn't already gotten there.

Good Luck!

Zapped,

It's not unheard of here to have 3 jobs, 3 miles apart, under 3 different versions of the NEC.

Those days are gone.

It's not the NEC, it's the CEC (California Electrical Code), and we have adopted the CEC 2007 based on the NEC 2005 as our Code.

Local amendments to our Building Codes are not an option, unless they submit in writing the reasons for local amendments, and the amendments need to be necessary because of local climatic, geological or topographical conditions.

"The California Building Standards Commission will reject, by letter, the filings by local governments proposing to adopt and amend model codes. Only the California Building Standards Code, incorporating model codes by reference and including State agency amendments, and the related regulations of the Department of Housing and Community Development, are subject to adoption and amendment by local governments."

These Building Codes are Statewide, and do not need to be adopted by local governments to be in effect.

G
Florida has had a uniform building code for the whole state since 2002, no local amendments but that doesn't seem to keep different AHJs from reading it differently.
There are still practices that work one place and not another. The use of "squirt foam" is one of them. Some AHJs embrace it, others hate it and want a more fire friendly product.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
There are few prodicts more 'fire friendly' than squirt foam. Black powder, perhaps? laugh

Broom Pusher and
As Electure has stated, Electrical installations in California shall conform to the 2007 Version of the CEC (California Electrical Code) - which uses the 2005 NEC as "Model Code" (Articles are either ammended in part, in full, or accepted verbatum per the governing agencies).

2007 CEC, more specifically, Title 24, Part 3, is the default Electrical Code to be enforced by City &/or County Authorities, and local ammendments _Should_ not be applied.

Now to add the "Howevers" to the statement above!!!

Several City DBS (Department of Building & Safety), and a very large County DBS / DPW (Department of Public Works) have their own "Local Preferences", which I include in a Plan Set's Specific notes, and are Field Enforced.
These are not part of CEC, but if Plan Check is to be passed, and rough/final inspections are to be passed, they are applied as if the CEC specifies them!

A few items are:

* Gray colored "Neutrals" for 480Y/277V Multiwire Circuits,

* Specific Color Coding for 208Y/120V and 480Y/277V Circuits,

* No Aluminum Grounding Conductors smaller than #6,

* No Aluminum GECs,

* Hypress Terminations on Aluminum Feeders,

* Insulated Equipment Grounding conductor for any flexible Conduits, regardless of length.

While these are not a problem to implement, and result in a more secure installation, they exceed the default CEC.

As far as Energy Conservation Codes - AKA: Title 24, Part 6 (Interior and Exterior Lighting compliance), which is another "CEC", most every DBS is on the same "page", and designs pass without corrections. (ya, I am bragging!!!)

Once in a while I hear of some mis-interpretation taking place, but that's expected...

Anyhow, that concludes my 2¢ contribution! smile

Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard