ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 510 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
I went to the scrap metal yards a couple of months ago and was shocked to learn that bare copper was fetching $2.50 (USD) per pound. Unstripped wire (about 14 AWG and up) is getting $1.00/Lb. No more tossing short strips of wire in the trash. That's beer money!

Cat Servant
The data you present suggests - there's not enough data to prove - that the copper prices are currently subject to a great deal of speculation.

If this is correct, the price has some more climbing to do - until the bubble bursts. Then we'll see a sudden drop, probably back to 2005 levels.

We saw something like this in the late 70's, when the Hunt brothers attempted to 'corner' the silver market. In the end, they were bankrupted by their 'can't fail' scheme. Copper is an even more readily available, more diversely produces, metal than silver ... and is thus more inherently safe from such manipulation.

One mans' disaster is often anothers' fortune. With every penny rise in the price of nearly any mineral, more mines here in Nevada re-open. Our mines are simply screaming for help - including electricians. (Especially Navy veteran 'electrician mates!')

Conversely, a return of prices to, say, 1980 levels would devastate Nevada as thoroughly as a plague epidemic.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard