ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 267 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#176004 03/17/08 10:05 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I had to post some pics of this guys 'handywork'

The disconnect on the service wire is so he can 'Safely' disconnect the wires when he needs to open up the meter can and hook his generator up.... jumper cable style.

And then the custom front porch light.

- Trick440

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Admin #176008 03/17/08 10:35 PM
L
Well pretty ingenious, the water keeps the ckt from overloading due to heat.
And they have the required "water letr' outer' for the service so it won't corrode..
wheres your issue?

leland #176011 03/17/08 10:41 PM
If his tampering doesn't kill him the asbestos cement siding probably will. It'll just take longer.

Then again, that asbestos siding might keep the place from burning down if (when?) the service goes ballistic!

Ian A.

Last edited by Theelectrikid; 03/17/08 10:49 PM. Reason: add last part

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
leland #176013 03/17/08 11:17 PM
Y
Well, there's that nasty violation of 300.20(A). I used to dread pointing these out, when I was 30, looked 22, and the offending party was nearly always over 50. They invariably were instantly convinced I was wet behind the ears, and talking out you-know-what.

When I was 29, I arrived on a jobsite one morning and waited for the foreman to show up. When he did, he saw me looking at a thoroughly toasted 800A pole-mount breaker. I wasn't really thinking of what I was seeing until he asked me if I could identify the problem. I noticed the 2" hole melted in the side of a rigid conduit, and then I noticed the phase taping on the drip loops.

Now I'm 39 and I still look young, but with enough lines in my face that I'm not instantly dismissed out of hand when I bring something up. It is true that there is no substitute for experience, but experience alone produces know-it-alls who ossify in their ignorance as they age.

But that's an aside. This guy lacks experience as surely as he lacks a knockout set. True, he seems to grasp the concept of the "water letr' outer" (though that may just be accidental), and he remembered the duct seal for the top of the meter can (if that's really what that is), but if you're going to go that far, why not rebuild the whole service with a transfer switch?

Oh yeah, and I think I see a meticulously-taped split-bolt neutral splice. I don't see a bonding jumper. That breaker disconnect is on the line side of the meter, but ungrounded, except maybe by the romex connector gripping the bare neutral.

yaktx #176015 03/18/08 01:17 AM
sbi Offline
i hope his insurance is paid up that thing looks like a fire waiting to happen soon

when in doubt jump it out
I happily work for slumlords
sbi #176033 03/18/08 06:38 PM
W
It looks to me like an old SE cable running up the right side, cut. Additionally I can't imagine any utility company ever making thos connections, for several reasons. (a)The wire is not only within the required 3' of clearance, its right in front of an operable window. (b) the "new" SE cable is floating in mid air, with no weatherhead.and lastly the poorly made or not made drip loop. water will rundirectly down the conductors into the jacket of the SE cable, then into this handy, but not legal disconnect.I'm sure I'm missing a bunch more,but those are just the obvios things. additionally I'd be willing to bet this thing is about 6-8' off grade. Hopefully this place burns down(while no one is home) AND REMEMBER, electrical work is easy.....

L
Asbestos!?-- Bet ya the fire gets them first.(gentlemans bet)

As Far as the other comments.. So TRue.
But do you think they care?
My advice. If ever asked to work on a system as this...DON"T.
Unless authorized to repair/replace the existing. Spell it all out VERY carefully.

leland #176067 03/19/08 11:05 AM
Z
The POCO actually allowed this?

Zapped #176142 03/21/08 07:07 PM
J
Originally Posted by Zapped
The POCO actually allowed this?

Highly doubtful.

I love that length of guttering above the doorway.
Now, that is classy!
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard